Which is the better deal? HD650 vs HD700
Nov 30, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #16 of 21
No, there is bass in the lower end Stax systems, just a very sterile version of bass. The 007 has nice bass bit I've only heard it with my tube Amp, so I might just be hearing the tube coloration.

How the 650 sounds is so gear dependent that if one does not invest in the amp/source to hear them at there best(or close to), one should look to other options.

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #17 of 21
So i just tried the HD700 and HD800 with the hdvd800.
Holy screw the 700's blew my mind. The bass on these are insanely deep! They sound very dark, like you would listen to fantastic speakers in a cave or something.
The hd800 on the otherhand was more natural and lush. I felt like the mids and highs had more resolution but i was missing the lows.
I expected both these headphones to be brighter, but i only listened to them with acoustic music so "modern" music might be different.

But hd700, holy shieeet!

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #18 of 21
So i just tried the HD700 and HD800 with the hdvd800.
Holy screw the 700's blew my mind. The bass on these are insanely deep! They sound very dark, like you would listen to fantastic speakers in a cave or something.
The hd800 on the otherhand was more natural and lush. I felt like the mids and highs had more resolution but i was missing the lows.
I expected both these headphones to be brighter, but i only listened to them with acoustic music so "modern" music might be different.

But hd700, holy shieeet!

It's odd that you call it dark, because the HD 700 (which I owned) has treble that is so emphasized that some people nicknamed it the Cyber-Grado. And the HD 800's treble is even more painful to me, and I've heard it on the HDVD 800 and Simaudio MOON Neo 430HA. ...Oh wait, you only listened with acoustic music. That explains it. I listened with virtually all types of music. Both headphones have great qualities about them, anyway. Don't mean to imply that they're bad per se; just too bright.

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #19 of 21
Im not sure how to describe it, but it seemed to me that both headphones where slightly darker than what im used to. The only minus i could find in HD700 (for my tastes) was the emphasis on the low mids (200-350hz ish). Made them sound slightly muddy compared to hd800.

But yea, i definitely need to get back for a full listening session! 
gs1000.gif

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #20 of 21
  Im not sure how to describe it, but it seemed to me that both headphones where slightly darker than what im used to. The only minus i could find in HD700 (for my tastes) was the emphasis on the low mids (200-350hz ish). Made them sound slightly muddy compared to hd800.

But yea, i definitely need to get back for a full listening session! 
gs1000.gif

Well, the HD 650 is considerably darker than either of those.

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #21 of 21
I also own both , as well as the AKG K702 , and Audio Technica AT M50.. I have had the 650s the longest.and love them ..they are stellar 
All have things they do better  
I really think that the 700s are " less neutral" but way more comfortable , and more " Open" .. Less Bass but not a bad thing as it has plenty  and a bit
easier to drive .. I have a little Denon Amp DA10 
I think that it is dependent on the Music and and very personal preference
I listened to the 800s ,, sublime but the 700 are more than decent.. and more affordable 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back