Which is the better buy ~ Arcam or Marantz?
May 15, 2003 at 9:04 PM Post #16 of 25
Hi Duncan

Just to let you know that Richersounds sells the 6000ki sig and they have 14 day no quibble returns policy plus they sell it for £300 or less, can't quite remember.

On the point about secondhand stuff. If it hadn't been for needing a DVD as well as a CD player I might have gone secondhand over the Philips. Sadly i don't know how good the philips is as i have nothing to compare it against. It is a shame that we are not a bit closer location wide Duncan as it would be great for you to hear the philips but more importantly the amazing John Linsley Hood amp (chiarra). Anyway Britain is a great place for secondhand audio as there are tons of audio nuts here trying to get there next upgrade fix so it is definetly a good option. Look at some reviews and decide on what player you would like.

Hope what ever you get sounds fantastic.

Wordsworth

May 15, 2003 at 9:57 PM Post #17 of 25
I used to work with GRI electronics in Perth Scotland. We made the boards for the Arcam amps, Cd players etc and I'm sad to report that the Marantz production facility was always light years ahead of ours (circa 1993)

Go with Marantz.

Pinkie.

May 17, 2003 at 9:17 AM Post #18 of 25
Hi!

I would go for the Arcam if I could afford it... It seems awesome to me...
smily_headphones1.gif
If it's worth the extra cost is up to you to decide, I can't help you with that one...

Edit:
The reason I would go for the Arcam is that I didn't like the CD6000 OSE LE myself... The KI Signature, however, seems to be much better a player.

May 17, 2003 at 10:20 AM Post #19 of 25
Thanks for all the replies guys
biggrin.gif

It seems that the CD6000KI, at half the price of the Arcam could be the way to go then... as I do like the Marantz CD6SE sound... but I just want more of it, if you know what I mean...

The only other player I'm going to throw into the mix is the NAD C541i,,, it seems to get stellar reviews here...

...Where to find somewhere for an audition
frown.gif

Wordsworth...

I think it'd be cool to have another mini-meet... i'd happily bring along my META42 and Grados ~ would be good
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2003 at 1:09 PM Post #21 of 25
Duncan, I had a quick look at the brit audio mags and they seem to place the 6000ki sig above the c541i. The c541i wins the £300 player category and the 6000ki sig wins the £500 player category (Hi Fi Choice awards). Thing is the the 6000ki sig can be had for £300 whilst the c541i remains £300. So it would make the ki sig a good buy. That is if you go with the magazines opinion and without being able to audition yourself that tends to be all we have to go on. At least you know they are both rated the best in their class so which ever one you get should sound fantastic.

Wordsworth

May 17, 2003 at 1:17 PM Post #22 of 25
May 17, 2003 at 3:54 PM Post #23 of 25
May 17, 2003 at 4:03 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
Find a dealer who is willing to allow in-home auditions of a few players and make a choice.there are some giant killers out there.

Excellent advice; I wound up with the Arcam FMJ23 a year ago after such a test. Quite a difference between players in this price range when they are hooked into your system.

May 17, 2003 at 6:07 PM Post #25 of 25
I'd say if you can get the CD6000 OSE KI signature player for 300£ go for it! At that price it's got to be one of the best deals in HiFi for all times. I mean the player was reviewed at 500£ and was considered a great value. I got a OSE (not KI) for 300 and consider it to be a very good value and the KI is better no question about it. I know, I am always bragging about the Marantz but to me the 6000 series is trully amazing giving you a taste of what the high end might be at 1/10 of the cost of a true high end player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back