Which is the better ALBUM, DSOTM or Sgt. Pepper
Aug 13, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #31 of 50
DSOTM is more cohesive as an album. Sgt. Peppers has a better collection of songs. But hey, I'm a Beatles fan, so of course I'll say that.

Personally, I think any overt superior instrumentalism in the Fab Four would have interfered in the overall effect of the songs. Not to say that they weren't damn good musicians, but the songwriting always came first with The Beatles.

Aug 14, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #34 of 50
Pet Sounds.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #36 of 50
I'm glad that I don't have to choose only one of the two to listen to.

Aug 15, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #37 of 50
this is such a personal choice since both are great albums. i tend to like Sgt. Peppers better, just because I think Lennon/mcCartney were the best songwriters ever. If I wanted to take acid and stare at the wall then it would be DSOTM lol.

Aug 15, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #38 of 50
I grew up with the Beatles. By the time Pink Floyd came along I was actually drifting away from rock into a wider range of music, so I feel a closer bond to the Beatles and their music.

....of course. I have both DSOTM as well as Sgt Pepper.
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #41 of 50
Sgt Pepper, I hardly enjoy DSoTM anymore TBH. Sgt Pepper remains a fun experience every time.

Though between other Floyd and any Beatles album, it's all depending on my mood. Usually, both are fighting between psychedelica apparent and psychedelica discovered (only those who have entered psychedelia land will understand man!).

Aug 16, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #42 of 50
Interesting responses. I know many of us do not "have to choose" but it's a good topic of discussion.

For me if you had asked me prior to the experience of listening to them back to back, I would have replied SGT. Pepper being the beatles and John Lennon fan that i am. What suprised was that given that context i chose DSOTM.

I wonder if mood/circumstance plays a role as well. It was a quiet morning at home and like I said in my orginal post, the day before i had been digging seriously in to Ministry. Perhaps my choice would have been different if it had been a hectic saturday and the day before I was listening to Damien Rice?

Aug 18, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #45 of 50
I'd have to say Sgt. Pepper, even though it's not even among my favorite Beatles albums. I don't know...Dark Side has always seemed a bit overdone to me, especially when compared with PF's Wish You Were Here, which is great right down to the cover art. I still think one of the biggest bummers about CDs was cover-art shrinkage. I'm not mad at digital (really thankful that my Nokia has a decent music player), but some think that mp3s will make covers completely unnecessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back