Which is the best recording of Beethoven's Emperor Concerto?
Sep 10, 2003 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

HanssoN

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for the ultimate version, so I guess I'll have to buy a few...

Unless you help me, of course...
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2003 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 8
There are many enjoyable selections out there, personally I found the Kempff/Leitner recording on DGG an excellent performance. Kempff has also recorded another good performance with van Kempen on this. Also like the Serkin/Ozawa (now on SACD) work, as well as the Serkin/Bernstein recording on this.

Happy listening,
W

Sep 10, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 8
i have always liked the levine/brendel live version with the chicago symphony. the cso is in fine form, levine does the music justice, and brendel's powerful technique dominates, although one of my favorite moments is in the 1st movement piano solo when brendel brings the theme down to pianissimo and you could hear a pin drop. i heard this broadcast live on the radio when i was a kid (and taped it of course), and the cd version includes brendel playing the beethoven opus 110 piano sonata--remarkable music.

Sep 11, 2003 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 8
I think your best bet for the "Emperor" concerto is either of the ones by Stephen Kovacevich. His first is an analog edition on Philips, recorded in 1969. His second time recording it was with EMI Eminence and is a digital recording. In either case, they will hard to surpass.

-augustwest

Sep 13, 2003 at 12:21 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by augustwest
I think your best bet for the "Emperor" concerto is either of the ones by Stephen Kovacevich. His first is an analog edition on Philips, recorded in 1969. His second time recording it was with EMI Eminence and is a digital recording. In either case, they will hard to surpass.

-augustwest

I agree with Kovacevich mention, but hard now to get budget set of all five concertos he did with Davis/Phillips.......I think the 5th is now on 2cd Phillips Dou set with other Beethoven works by various performers.

There is nice budget price of all 5 concertos by Leon Fleisher with Szell/Sony that is very good overall:
41108.JPG

Also for mid price you can get the Kempff versions of concertos 4,5 with Leitner/DG Originals........as WILSON has mentioned.

Sep 13, 2003 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 8
Has anyone heard Mitsuko Uchida's version? I'm very fond of her playing.

Sep 17, 2003 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 8
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone heard Mitsuko Uchida's version? I'm very fond of her playing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are referring to her work with Kurt Sanderling on the Philips label, then I have that CD and I think it stands up against some of the best recordings on this piece. If you already liked Uchida, its worth trying.

Cheers,
W

Users who are viewing this thread

Back