Which is the best all around canalphone?
Jun 28, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
I've heard a bunch, and to me, the e4c is head and shoulders above the rest in the 'best all-around canalphone' rating.

maybe if it were $100 cheaper

Jun 28, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
maybe if it were $100 cheaper

Do you mean $100 cheaper than $300 or $187?

Regardless of price, I personally think they are the best all around canalphone I've tried. And others include the um2 and sf5pro, both of which are more expensive. The others listed I can't see besting the e4c FOR ME because I find the ety's a little too fatiguing, and if the e5's have less treble than the um2's, they certainly wouldn't be a better all-arounder, imo. The e4c's aren't the most detailed, or have the most bass, but they are well-balanced and do everything extremely competently, moreso than anything else I've tried (imo)...which is, well...the definition of 'all-around', as far as I know.

Possibly the stax, I don't know anything about them, though.

Jun 29, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
Do you mean $100 cheaper than $300 or $187?

Regardless of price, I personally think they are the best all around canalphone I've tried. And others include the um2 and sf5pro, both of which are more expensive. The others listed I can't see besting the e4c FOR ME because I find the ety's a little too fatiguing, and if the e5's have less treble than the um2's, they certainly wouldn't be a better all-arounder, imo. Possibly the stax, I don't know anything about them, though.

If we take price out of consideration, we might as well all say UE10 or something :p

Price should always be a factor in "Good all-around".

Jun 29, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinbios
If we take price out of consideration, we might as well all say UE10 or something :p

Price should always be a factor in "Good all-around".

Right, dont misunderstand, I said 'regardless of price', meaning taking into account the price - ie, it is better than more expensive phones, imo. But that's just my opinion, and one vote, along with everyone else's.

Nov 12, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #21 of 21
VERY old thread, but since I did a search and it was the 3rd from the top, apparently still relevant for me.
I own/have owned:
Earwerkz Legend Omega
K3003i
N5005
Dunu 2002
Campire:
-Dorado
-Atlas
Final Audio:
-B2
-A8000
-FI-BA-SS
-Heaven IV
-Heaven VI
W500
JVC FX800
JVC FX700
PFE232
and a host of others that probably aren't worth mentioning

Its important (VERY important) to note that my primarily listen is to electronic, but not the stereotypical. I listen to more composition, musical, and melody-driven stuff. For example, Saul Stokes' Colonies album, General Fuzz "Warm Steel," Tycho, WMD, Sizzlebird, Melosense, Handbook, Joey Pecoraro, etc. But also some Progressive beat-driven like Winterya, South Pole, Alex H, Roald Velden, etc.
But I occassionally listen to female-vocal-driven music, even some Taylor Swift, and a lot of Latin music; a female Latina voice is the sexiest for me, for some reason. I'm going to keep it simple on the categories, as I would like to see more of on here....

--Detail: I'd reach for FI-BA-SS or PFE232 if seaking detail. Legend Omega if i want more mid-centric, less-bright, but even more separation.
--Clarity: FI-BA-SS or PFE232. Only problem with the former is keeping it from being too bright for my tastes.
--Decay: A8000.
--Timbre: Either the JVC FX's or my A8000's. I love how clear but also real-sounding it is.
--Soundstage: Easily FI-BA-SS...wow, so wide. Heaven VI is good too. you can see I love the unique Final Audio sound a lot. Sounstage, instrument separation, timbre, and clarity are very important to me followed by a bass I can feel.
--Frequency Balance from lows to mids to highs: hmmm, this is a good one, because most mine are intentionally not balanced across the spectrum. But I suppose the Heaven VI. It would beat out the FI-BA-SS because it tones those highs for me, but the FIBASS is great too.
--Sibilance control: A8000. It gives me the sparkle and clear highs without every sounding too much. Definitely big winner in this category.
--Improvement when amped: hmmm, Not a big for sure on this. probably the W500 and the A8000. Maybe the N5005 seems to glow a little better across all spectrums.
--instrument separation: FI-BA-SS. That's who I go to when I want to pick out individual sounds.
--extension: A8000
--speed: A8000. Best for Electronic and has been my endgame now for some time.
--Musicality/involvement: This is a tough, tough one, because it depends on what your mood is. This is so subjective. I do love the bass energy of my Atlas and dat bass of the W500. But the FX has such a LIVE sound feel to them, it always feels like a party. I never go wrong with the A8000, but I'd probably give this one to the FX--- series due to the LIVE feel, originality, and fun.
--value: Right now, you can get the N5005's NEW on HarmonKarmon.com for $200. To me, that cannot be beat. The bluetooth cable is great, multiple sound filters, a 2.5mm balanced cable.....just wow.
--Comfort: PFE232 without question. The cable seems to disintegrate, however. But when I have the silicone tips in for these, I forget they're in my ears. Winner by a LOT.
--Cable Noise (Microphonics). No comment; just switch cables if you wanna.

NOTE: I am currently debating on getting an Empire Ears because their Weapon X+ bass would do wonders for my electronic as well as their EST driver. But I am also curious about the Thieaudio Monarch MkII, as it is reviewed so favorably, IS CHEAPER, and the frequency curve looks strikingly similar....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back