Which is superior: MD2000 or D5000
Dec 10, 2009 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Cosmonaut

New Head-Fier
I'm trying to decide if I should buy a pair of d2000's and have them markl modded or get a pair of stock d5000's.

do you guys have any input on which would sound better in the end?

Dec 10, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nnotis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given how diffuse I found the D5000s to sound before modding them, I’d go with the MD2000s. You can always get wood coups at a later time, making the MD2000s no different from the MD5000s.

Thanks. This brings me to another point, if I were to upgrade MD2000 would wooden cups or an APS recable improve the sound more?

Dec 10, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 14
Not sure on your last question, but probably the cable.

Also, if you are any sort of a handyman, I would recommend getting the D2000 and modding them yourself. I would also wait a while before modding them in order to let them burn in because you may like the sound un-modded. But if you don't you can always just do the mod one step at a time.

I would highly recommend the JMoney earpads though. They are WAYYYY better than stock and cheaper than any cable upgrade.

Dec 10, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mgrewe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure on your last question, but probably the cable.

Also, if you are any sort of a handyman, I would recommend getting the D2000 and modding them yourself. I would also wait a while before modding them in order to let them burn in because you may like the sound un-modded. But if you don't you can always just do the mod one step at a time.

I would highly recommend the JMoney earpads though. They are WAYYYY better than stock and cheaper than any cable upgrade.

i'm not capable of doing any modifications myself whatsoever. even with step by step instructions i'm sure i'd mess something up.

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 14
Dont worry about it. I have done the mods myself and it is very simple. All you need is a screw driver and a hole punch. Its basically cutting out shapes and sticking them on at the right places. Also, i think that upgrading to wood cups would make a much bigger difference since Denon has started using the same cable on the D2000 and D5000. So basically all you have to do is buy the d2000, buy the wood cups from Lawton Audio, get it back and then do the mods. Also you can do the stuffed pads mod yourself..its just like the jmoney ear pads. The only difference is that it doesnt look as professional, but it still looks plenty good.

Dec 10, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galesden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dont worry about it. I have done the mods myself and it is very simple. All you need is a screw driver and a hole punch. Its basically cutting out shapes and sticking them on at the right places. Also, i think that upgrading to wood cups would make a much bigger difference since Denon has started using the same cable on the D2000 and D5000. So basically all you have to do is buy the d2000, buy the wood cups from Lawton Audio, get it back and then do the mods. Also you can do the stuffed pads mod yourself..its just like the jmoney ear pads. The only difference is that it doesnt look as professional, but it still looks plenty good.

Really?? That's great!

I don't know if you've heard the JMoney pads for yourself, but is is NOT just a cosmetic of comfort difference. I stuffed my pads a while ago and I thought they sounded good for the most part. It sucked out the bass/midrange and made the vocals seem far away. Also, the sibilance on the stuffed pads was a lot more than the JMoney pads. His product also increased bass response and brought the mids closer. Let me state this plainly. JMoney pads sound wwaayy better than the stuffed pads.

Congrats on the buy.
smile.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Denon has started using the same cable on the D2000 and D5000

We haven't seen a D2000 that has a D5000 cable on it so far, FWIW.

Dec 11, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

...since Denon has started using the same cable on the D2000 and D5000...

I am not sure this is the case according to Markl himself. Maybe it is a very recent change if it is even true. how to recognize a "new" Denon AH-D2000 ?

EDIT: beat me to it Lawton.

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Also, i think that upgrading to wood cups would make a much bigger difference since Denon has started using the same cable on the D2000 and D5000.\

That was just a rumor, it's not true. Also the JMoney pads >>> stuffed stock pads both in comfort and SQ (the stuffed stock pads are a nice improvement over plain stocks, but not on the level of the JMoneys).

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #14 of 14
OP, go with the MD2000. It also leaves you open to options that if you bought the D5000 would make the D5000 purchase a waste of money later on, such as Lawton Audio cups and a recable.

Quote:

Also, i think that upgrading to wood cups would make a much bigger difference since Denon has started using the same cable on the D2000 and D5000.\

That was just a rumor, it's not true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmonaut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. This brings me to another point, if I were to upgrade MD2000 would wooden cups or an APS recable improve the sound more?

Wooden cups. Cables really are not that drastic of an improvement in sound quality, no matter what some people say. That doesn't by any means mean that you shouldn't bother with a recable, there is improvement, just the wood cups are going to give a larger one.

If you later decide to recable but don't want to spring for the Jena Labs, go for APS V3 or a Moon Audio cable (Silver Dragon if you listen to Classical, Jazz, and more contemporary audiophile music, Blue/Black Dragon if you listen to rock, alternative, electronic, etc.).

Personally I'm going to be getting a Blue Dragon recable on my D5000s soon. I talked to a guy who compared the APS V3 and Blue Dragon and couldn't decide which he liked more as apparently the sound was quite similar, and as Blue Dragon is cheaper I went with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back