Which is more important to you: PORTABLE or HOME rig?
Oct 16, 2007 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Phraxos

100+ Head-Fier
Yeah, just wondering for the folks out there who can't justify keeping or can't afford getting two rigs. If you had to choose between portable and best sound, which would you choose?

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 56
hm. I guess... home? I do a lot of office listening too, but as for truly portable I stick with e2c's. Anything more expensive will only get rained on.

Then again, when I'm commuting I'm actually outside.

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 56
home rig, which happens to be portable
tongue.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 56
Dedicated home rig, definately.

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 56
Home rig, as I spend much more time with it.
That is, assuming I could keep some sort of portable setup anyway, unamped with stock buds, else commute would be just too boring.

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #6 of 56
Both equally. I couldn't do without either. Seriously though, generic MP3 players are so cheap now and theres always the KSC75. You can get a 1G setup for less than $50. I have been using a little shuffle clone for the past couple weeks and, frankly I'm a little surprised that its a decent sounding little player.

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #7 of 56
Look at my signature I you might get the answer...
tongue.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 56
I'm in college, so I would have to say portable....

That being said - I have found a decent compromise of having a dedicated amped 5.1 speaker system in my room and using the amp for my headphones as well.

The portable rig is a work in progress as I still need a portable amp for ~$30-40.... still deciding though between a used pa2v2 or a nicely done cmoy... any offers?

Oct 16, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phraxos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, just wondering for the folks out there who can't justify keeping or can't afford getting two rigs. If you had to choose between portable and best sound, which would you choose?

Well, home for sure. I get way more expensive, always open headphones for home, and cheaper, isolated closed headphones for portable. My amp is the same for both. In this case, it's Porta Corda III -> RP-21s as my portable rig, and I just sent back my home headphones ATH-AD900s, and should get my upgrade within a month, to M-Audio Transit -> Porta Corda III -> ATH-AD2000s.

Automatically home for me, simply because it allows for open headphones.
600smile.gif

Michael

Oct 16, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 56
I care little for portable audiophilia. Most everything revolves around the home rig. Cant have portable vinyl for a start.

Oct 16, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #14 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phraxos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you had to choose between portable and best sound, which would you choose?

I'd choose to mount my home rig on a camel, a golf-cart or 3 backpacks. More seriously though, I'd choose portable with the best sound. Even more seriously though, if you're moving about, you aren't really concentrating on the smallest nuances of the music are you. The only thing I look for in music when I'm "porting" is a general air and pleasant sound to the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back