Which is more airy? HD600-650
Mar 3, 2015 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Dark Ayla

Formerly known as Sound Maniac
Hello,

I am about getting HD600 or 650.
Which one is more airy and less muffled? 

I like warm, bassy and detailed phones, that doesn't mean I avoid airy phones.

Thanks 

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 13
Could also take a look at Philips Fidelio X2 and compare it with HD600 :)

I used to have the X2 but the only problem with it that it has a narrow sound stage! I know this might be not true according to the available review, but based on my direct comparison between the x2 and HD598, the HD has a significantly more open stage. The X2 suffers from a rolled bass extension. The bass bass starts beautifully but ends so fast.

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 13
Their differences over ~500 Hz are negligeable, I would consider them equally airy above 500Hz.  The HD650 however has more bass impact and deeper extension, so its a warmer, "weightier" overall presentation.

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 13
  Their differences over ~500 Hz are negligeable, I would consider them equally airy above 500Hz.  The HD650 however has more bass impact and deeper extension, so its a warmer, "weightier" overall presentation.

I really appreciate your feedback. 
Based on your explanation, I think that 650 is my best option. This is due to the deeper extension and warmer sound.
What about the sound stage???

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 13

Hmmm - in my in depth side by side, the bass was actually more similar than different (HD650 slightly warmer), but the HD600 definitely displayed an airier presentation up top.  I'm assuming this is the difference in frequency response from 3kHz to 6kHz?

Anyway - for the OP - direct side-by-side comparison
http://www.head-fi.org/t/740942/comparison-review-part-deux-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd650

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 13

I really appreciate your feedback. 
Based on your explanation, I think that 650 is my best option. This is due to the deeper extension and warmer sound.
What about the sound stage???

Not much difference there either.  Although certain live recordings that have a lot of room / venue acoustic resonance and warmth sound bigger and more expansive on the HD650.  Clapton Unplugged for example there are parts where they are stomping their feet on the wood floor in rhythm to the music.  That kind of venue acoustics project through better on the HD650. It gives it a bigger room kind of sound.  IMHO

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #9 of 13
HD600s are probably just a tad airier, but HD650s are warmer. Is up to you to decide.

Bassy + Airy + Wide Soundstage
Have you tried the Beyerdynamic DT990?

The Soundmagic HP200 also falls in the "bassy + airy" category, not sure about its soundstage.

Best Luck!

Mar 4, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 13
  Not much difference there either.  Although certain live recordings that have a lot of room / venue acoustic resonance and warmth sound bigger and more expansive on the HD650.  Clapton Unplugged for example there are parts where they are stomping their feet on the wood floor in rhythm to the music.  That kind of venue acoustics project through better on the HD650. It gives it a bigger room kind of sound.  IMHO

What about gaming, which one is better? 

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #12 of 13
The veiled HD650 is a myth, Sennheiser changed the tuning drastically on the HD650 many years back. Have a look at these Innerfidelity charts, they are very interesting and do confirm what I hear:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD650.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf

If you look at these charts, you will see that the HD650 actually has better treble extension and overall extension than the HD600. It also has lower distortion than the HD600, but be careful when reading the impulse response charts as they are using different scales.

Above all, the HD650 and HD600 are very similar, but technically the HD650 has the more capable transducer.

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #13 of 13
  The veiled HD650 is a myth, Sennheiser changed the tuning drastically on the HD650 many years back. Have a look at these Innerfidelity charts, they are very interesting and do confirm what I hear:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD650.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf

If you look at these charts, you will see that the HD650 actually has better treble extension and overall extension than the HD600. It also has lower distortion than the HD600, but be careful when reading the impulse response charts as they are using different scales.

Above all, the HD650 and HD600 are very similar, but technically the HD650 has the more capable transducer.

Are you saying that there are different versions of the HD650? OR you are comparing to the HD600
"Sennheiser changed the tuning drastically on the HD650 many years back"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back