Which is brighter: ZMF Auteur or LCD-3?
Mar 25, 2019 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Poganin

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm currently looking for a pair of headphones with good vocal presentation but without overwhelming highs, and these two have come up in my searches. I think the Auteur would be a better complement to my AFO, because the AFO is already on the warm side like I believe the LCD-3 is (I only had a short auditioning session for the LCD-3). Unfortunately, I don't have a means of auditioning any ZMF headphones where I live, so if I settle for the Auteur it would be a bit of a blind purchase, so I have to rely on reviews and recommendations.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Mar 25, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #2 of 8
Auteur is def brighter than the LCD3. These headphones def have a break-in period. When I first received my pair they were painfully bright,but have settled down nicely. They make for an excellent contrast to my ZMF Verite,which is warm.

What amp are you planning on using?

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 8
Aune S6 is my current desktop DAC/AMP, but I'm considering expanding it with an S7 should the onboard power prove insufficient.

Mar 25, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 8
Im not familiar with that product,but the Auteur isnt hard to drive. For my personal preferences I like to pair it up with warm tubes,or a warm SS amp.

Mar 25, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 8
The Aune S6 is a rather neutral-sounding DAC. It doesn't colour the sound from what I can tell, so the headphones I power with it all play with their factory sound.
I have the S6 connected to the Marantz PM 7005 speaker amplifier, which is a little warmer, but doesn't have a balanced output.

Oh, could you also tell me how fast the Auteur is?

Mar 25, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 8
Its not slow by any means,but not the fastest either. I use them to listen to metal sometimes(along with my Sextetts,AD2000s and Verite) and have no complaints about them sounding blurred.

Mar 25, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 8
Great, thank you for the answers. I might get the Auteur instead of the LCD-3, after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back