Which is better: Ultrasone hfi 580 vs performance 820
Feb 7, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 14
Any particular reason you're set on Ultrasone?
If you've listened to a bunch of their headphones before and like them, that's fine and none of my business.... but I think they're mostly terrible. 

For that budget, I'd get a Sennheiser Urbanite XL.
If Onkyo ES-HF300 had bigger earpads, I'd suggest those, but they're only good for small ears (less than 65mm tall)

Feb 7, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 14
If you've listened to a bunch of their headphones before and like them, that's fine and none of my business.... but I think they're mostly terrible. 

If Onkyo ES-HF300 had bigger earpads, I'd suggest those, but they're only good for small ears (less than 65mm tall)
are they really that bad? I've never tried them before. The headphone I have now are the Bose soundtrue headphones but those don't have alot of bass. I've heard that the hfi 580 have better sound and bass anf better soundstage than the audio technica m50x, which I've listed to before. I would also be using them for gaming,i have an astro mixamp. Are there any other headphones with good bass and good sound that under $200?

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 14
The thing with Ultrasone is that pretty much all their headphones have what they call "S-Logic" which basically puts the headphone driver at a different position to the usual 'over the ear canal'.
This is supposed to do a number of things including reduce sound fatigue by lowering sound pressure which should theoretically be healthier for your ears, and make sound more 3-Dimensional.

It sounds great to read on paper, but the headphones themselves all sound dreadful to me. Just unnatural in almost every way. 
Each to their own though... some people swear by them for electronic music. *shrug*

The two I mentioned previously should have a stronger bass than the Bose.
I don't know for certain since I havn't cared to listen to a Bose headphone for quite a few years now after many disappointed auditions..... I say disappointed.... I'm actually being very polite.
I'm only guessing after having looked at a few FR graphs I found online.

If you like, I can actually go and find one of these and test it out, compare it to the Onkyo and Sennheiser and report back. 
I might as well. The measurements are actually a little better than I expected. 

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 14
The sennheisers look good. I looked at the v-moda crossphade lp2 headphone on amazon for about the same price as the urbanite xl. The reviews I've read of the vmoda headphones are that they are bass heavy and are good headphones to travel with. If you've tried out the vmodas before, how do they compare to the sennheisers when it comes to comfort, sound, and portability?

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 14
Sorry, I've never even seen one before. They have basically zero consumer presence in Germany.  
redface.gif

Sep 21, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 14
  The thing with Ultrasone is that pretty much all their headphones have what they call "S-Logic" which basically puts the headphone driver at a different position to the usual 'over the ear canal'.
This is supposed to do a number of things including reduce sound fatigue by lowering sound pressure which should theoretically be healthier for your ears, and make sound more 3-Dimensional.

It sounds great to read on paper, but the headphones themselves all sound dreadful to me. Just unnatural in almost every way. 
Each to their own though... some people swear by them for electronic music. *shrug*

I don't know for certain since I havn't cared to listen to a Bose headphone for quite a few years now after many disappointed auditions..... I say disappointed.... I'm actually being very polite.

If you like, I can actually go and find one of these and test it out, compare it to the Onkyo and Sennheiser and report back. 

Did you ever end up comparing? I am also interested in the 820....

Sep 21, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 14

Did you ever end up comparing? I am also interested in the 820....

I can't remember 
redface.gif

Even if I did, it's been too long to give a worthy opinion.

Since July I have been back to my local hifi store, and any Ultrasones have been pretty scarce ._. so there's a slim chance I'll bump into any of these again.
I'll try to keep it in mind for the next time I'm in the city.

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #9 of 14
  I can't remember 
redface.gif

Even if I did, it's been too long to give a worthy opinion.

Since July I have been back to my local hifi store, and any Ultrasones have been pretty scarce ._. so there's a slim chance I'll bump into any of these again.
I'll try to keep it in mind for the next time I'm in the city.

Damn you have an insane list of headphones in your inventory. What would you recommend for a pair of portable (hopefully detachable cable and can fold), closed back, neutral/not excessive bass headphones?

Sep 22, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 14
Sennheiser Momentum 2
That's a hands-down winner for ticking all the boxes .... if you're crazy enough to drop that much coin on a headphone 
tongue.gif

I don't get the reviews that say there's too much bass on these. 
When I use the M1 momentum (almost identical in sound to M2) in public, the bass gets drowned out - I do listen at moderately low volumes.
To compensate I boost the bass, which as it turns out follows the Harman Target Response curve and Equal Loudness Contour more accurately.

You will find that at home, or in quiet places, the Momentum is rather close neutral.

Jan 2, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #11 of 14

There are SOME of Ultrasone headphones that require Loooong burn-in but they are better for monitoring AND accurate listening to music than most of the other models and brands. I speak from experience with my other headphones: STAX L300 with custom designed SE valve/lundahl driver, Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 600 Ohm with Lake People G109S amp, Sennheiser HD 650 with Lehmann Linear, HifiMan HE400i with Nuforce HA200. I own Ultrasone Pro2900 and enjoy them as my daily workhorse. They have better resolution and more natural sound than the most of the "audiophile" headphones. I have owned Ultrasone Models: Signature DX (too euphonic), Pro750i (excellent), Pro 750i (Great bass and percussion but coloured for the acoustic music monitoring), Performance 880 (A bit unnatural, didn't like them), Pro 1440 (Brilliant, absolute best buy). So, please consider whether your source and amplification are responsible for what you have been hearing from some of the "dreadful" models. :wink:
Of the two models enquired about, I would choose Performance 820 or better Pro 1480.

Jan 2, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #12 of 14

There are SOME of the Ultrasone headphones that require Loooong burn-in but they are excellent for monitoring AND accurate listening to music. I speak from experience with my other headphones: STAX L300 with custom-designed SE valve/Lundahl output transformer driver, Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 600 Ohm with Lake People G109S amp, Sennheiser HD 650 with Lehmann Linear, HifiMan HE400i with Nuforce HA200. I own Ultrasone Pro2900 and enjoy them as my daily workhorse. They have better resolution and more natural sound than most of the "audiophile" brands headphones. I have owned Ultrasone Models: Signature DX (too euphonic), Pro750i (excellent), Pro 550i (Great bass and percussion but coloured for the acoustic music monitoring), Performance 880 (A bit unnatural, didn't like them), Pro 1480 (Brilliant, absolute best buy). So, please consider whether your source and amplification are responsible for what you have been hearing from some of the "dreadful" models. :wink:
Of the two models enquired about, I would choose Performance 820 or better Pro 1480.

Jan 2, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #13 of 14
There are SOME of the Ultrasone headphones that require Loooong burn-in but they are excellent for monitoring AND accurate listening to music. I speak from experience with my other headphones: STAX L300 with custom-designed SE valve/Lundahl output transformer driver, Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 600 Ohm with Lake People G109S amp, Sennheiser HD 650 with Lehmann Linear, HifiMan HE400i with Nuforce HA200. I own Ultrasone Pro2900 and enjoy them as my daily workhorse. They have better resolution and more natural sound than most of the "audiophile" brands headphones. I have owned Ultrasone Models: Signature DX (too euphonic), Pro750i (excellent), Pro 550i (Great bass and percussion but coloured for the acoustic music monitoring), Performance 880 (A bit unnatural, didn't like them), Pro 1480 (Brilliant, absolute best buy). So, please consider whether your source and amplification are responsible for what you have been hearing from some of the "dreadful" models. :wink:
I think you probably should have taken a quick look at my profile first, but no harm done. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back