Which is better - Portland or Seattle?
Jun 9, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #31 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Mauler
does it rain ALOT in seattle?

I read that this is just a myth. There are other cities (I believe Atlanta is one) in the US with more rainy days and more quantity of rain per year than Seattle. What Seattle has more of, relative to the rest of the nation, is overcast days... grey cloudy skies... looks like it may rain but doesn't sort of days.

Jun 9, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #32 of 62
Thanks for all the replies and related discussions guys. Though we haven't really seen many who have lived in Portland who have a say in the matter
frown.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #34 of 62
I would take either one in a heartbeat. Both have their good and bad points as any city. I grew up on Bainbridge Island which at the time was an idyllic place to live. No crime, you knew everyone, seafood for the taking, 35 minute boat ride to downtown Seattle. I kick myself for not buying my parents farm when they sold it. Seattle has changed a lot from what I remember as has Portland but both are beautiful cities with friendly people and no end of things to do especially if you like the outdoors.

Jun 10, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #36 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
Bold tag added by me... but the typo, a Freudian slip? I just read today that the cost for the monorail (which won't help with traffic congestion IMO... maybe the viaduct traffic but certainly not I-5) will exceed $2B, far more than originally projected.

If that thing gets built, people in Seattle really will "owe" a lot!
600smile.gif

HAHAHA!!!
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #37 of 62
Ok ill tell you what i think but first let me tell you that im only 15 if that affects my opinion in anyway so be it.

i have lived in portland my whole live well actually Lake Oswego which is 10 miles or so south of Portland and i Have been to Seatle probably 4 times but never really staying for more than a couple of days. First off i love just about everything about Portland its a big city but it doesnt seem like it, everyone is so laid back and arent stressed out. i love the river and all of the bridges. There are so many great places to go with many parks the beach mount Hood and many other things. The weather is nice most of the time but very perculiar as it will be 90 degrees for a week then the next 2 days it will rain and then back to 90 degrees. The only time i dont like the weather is when is rainy and gloomy for over a week then it gets old. Another difference between the 2 is the sales tax but then again Portland does have other taxes. Also in Portland you dont have to pump your own gas so i guess that is a plus to some degree. Its green all year round and there is nothing that i can think of that i dont really like about it.

Now for Seatle, this will be a lot shorter as i dont live in Seatle. It seems very similiar to portland but just on a bigger scale which i dont really like, i like the feel of Portland. As i dont live their i cant really comment about the weather but whenever we have driven around i do remember traffic. The one thing that i do love about Seatle is the peirs they are really cool to just spend a day and walk around. Sorry that i cant really tell you more.

I hope that in some way this helped you and as people have said either place is very nice, it might come down to if you want to be in a real big city or something a little bit smaller with more of a town feel and a little bit more laid back. I hope you have good luck in whatever you pick.

Jun 10, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #38 of 62
Lets put it this way.

Say your line of work has you working downtown and allows you 300-350K to spend on a home. In Portland you can live in a condo downtown and walk to work, or live in a house in SE and have a short drive to work.

In Seattle you live in the suburbs and drive 2-3 hours a day.

I also think Portland has a better atmosphere/personality/feel than Seattle.

For me, Seattle is too big. I live at the extreme south end of downtown Portland. I shop at a grocery store in the Pearl District, north of downtown. It is a 15 minute walk.

As for weather, Portland has a bit less rain and is a bit warmer all year. This translates into more tolerable winters and I guess hotter summers in Portland. I think most people wouldn't find the summers here particularly hot.

Jun 10, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #39 of 62
This discussion of traffic has me a bit confused. The greater Cleveland area has 2.9mil, which is only 0.2mil less than the greater Seattle region. The traffic in downtown Cleveland blows during rush hour, of course, but 2-3 hours of traffic from one county to several counties over is quite rare. Does Seattle lack sprawl to the point there are only one or two freeways that everyone from everywhere travels on or something? Adding on another 2-3 hours to my day really is unacceptable, and it seems odd that a city the size of Seattle would have such a poor transportation layout.

For those making mention of the temperatures... Portland is still much more temperate than most of the US, even if Seattle has it beat by a few meager degrees. It's already been 90*+ in Ohio all week!

Jun 10, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #40 of 62
Lived in Beaverton 10+ yrs, so I know Portland pretty well.

Been living in Seattle for the past 4, and plan to continue (probably Fremont, in the U-dist right now).

Anyways, Portland is obviously smaller. I like its accessebility to beaches and mountains a lot better than Seattle. (Beaches close to Seattle suck - IMO the Oregon coastline kicks Washington's ass.) I also like Mt. Hood better than Stevens Pass, but in Seattle, you are also closer to the likes of Mt. Baker and Whistler in BC.
Portland is tad bit warmer than Seattle, but its negligable. Both places are great in weather, if you can stand a bit of rain at times. It never gets overly hot or cold except on the occasional rare day. Never really humid either, which makes me think this is the only place I could survive(the NW that is). There is less to do, but I feel like the quality of the things there are actually to do is better in Portland. Neither city is very large by "big city" standards IMO but Portland really feels small when you are walking around it. Light rail there is great, but I don't like the bus system all that much.

Seattle, bigger. More to do. Better music scene, but Portland isn't that bad actually. I like the bus system here better, but monorail sucks and I really miss the lightrail. Traffic does really blow at rush hour, but I didn't/don't really drive in either city. UW > UO or OSU. More jobs. As a young person just out of college, I feel like Seattle suits my tastes but if I was 40 I could see myself in Portland more.

Oh and I felt people were genreally friendlier in Portland but Seattle's not bad in that regard either.
Anything else?
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 8:39 AM Post #41 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by green84061
i have lived in portland my whole live well actually Lake Oswego which is 10 miles or so south of Portland. . . .

This community is becoming too closely knit for consistent bladder control. As long as Green doesn't let slip that he lives on Cherry Lane, I'll enjoy our three remaining degrees of separation. Lake Oswego, home of the painful Silverchair. I remember it well: haven of rich kids and the psychotic offspring of clinical psychologists; sanctuary of oppressive block committees and downwardly mobile cases (like the one who happens to be typing this very post). The perks: moderate weather, vivid and verdant scenery, fresh wild blackberries growing on the side of every road. In Lake Oswego, you can take the kind of undisturbed nature walk that might have tweaked Thoreau.

Technically, Portland is within walking distance of Lake Oswego (if you're in good health and fancy an interminable hike). I doubt I've walked the entire distance more than five times in my life.

I, too, will vouch for the forwardness of certain Portland-based members of the opposite sex. After living there for a year, even San Francisco will seem prudish by comparison. The drawback: a queue of obtrusive and endlessly demonstrative pederasts. Because of them, Portland is a sinister place to grow up with a baby face.

=========================================

If I were thinking of returning to the Northwest, my first choice would be to antagonize Vancouver, B.C. full time and irritate Portland, Oregon on random weekends.

For my second choice, I'd be shredded between Portland and Seattle. On the one hind, I prefer to infect a larger city in which art and music flourish (Seattle, for example). On the nether, Portland possesses a certain clean-scented quirkiness. Because of its liberal orientation, Portland was always crackpot central. I rather miss the spectacle of sanctioned full-blown cranks.

Certain areas outside of Portland remind me of the serpents and dragons at the edges of medieval maps -- regions of darkness and semi-dangerous fire-breathing crackers -- especially when the towns in question look deserted at first leer. I've never forgotten two of the signs I happened to see in such places: No Trespassing (placed not on someone's property but along an entire city street) and All Suspicious Activity will Be Reported.

As for the "ghetto": It was never a problem for me. Whenever I happened upon an abandoned set of works, I enjoyed my proximity to chemical vermin. The rest of its denizens (meaning the poor) were simply struggling neighbors.

The one thing about Portland that makes me wince: the memory of a quiet and lingering bigotry. Diversity, one of the selling points of NYC, is something I miss when I revisit the gated cities of my gray-green adolescence.

Jun 10, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #42 of 62
i grew up in portland for 15 years. the city is dull; all the trees and buildings look grey or brown. having lived in seattle for nearly 4 years now, i can say that it's much more vibrant. the city is colorful and green. portland is more liberal or consensually "hippy." seattle on the other hand has a better balance of conservatives and liberals. the ppl in both cities are friendly and progressive thinkers. finally, seattle is alive. the people are young and active. the people in portland seem to be rotting away.

but i think the best place to live is by your friends. it's the ppl, not the city.

also, i get around. im not confined to just u-district.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #43 of 62
Ditto on the outdoors for Seattle. I've somewhat rediscovered this passion of mine after having been in "hibernation" for some time (no thanks to Head-Fi) and I am continuously surprised by how much there is to do here and the kind of community that it supports. Its really quite mind-boggling. There seems to be no end to things to do or places to see and the only limiting factor seem to be one's wallet (isnt it always?). Anyway, if you're into that kind of thing, Seattle, and Washington in general is paradise. The only thing we need is some desert/canyons, and then we'd have everything.
tongue.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #44 of 62
Check out Tacoma...less than one hour from seattle, yet out of their taxes and home prices...(heck, there are parts of Seattle that are one hour from Seattle). Less than two hours from Portland. Less than one hour from the State Capitol, if you are politically active.

Tacoma is the "wired city"...is re-inventing itself and is becoming a glittering city without becoming trendy...

Six minutes across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, is Gig Harbor, a sleepy fishing village in the countryside...waterfront housing is still "affordable'...

Or...live in Bremerton/Port Orchard - more country than even Gig Harbor, and still lower taxes. A short, romantic ferry ride to Seattle(you can see Seattle from many places), and even more affordab le waterfront housing and sites...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back