which is better- Need amp advice?
Apr 13, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #2 of 11
The Trends Audio PA-10 SE is a hybrid amp and you would compare it to the Little Dot 1+ not the three. On the Littledot.net web site there are pictures of the outside as well the insides of the Little Dot1 1+. I like the circuit layout and the appearance better with the Little Dot 1+ and cheaper too.

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 11
What do you mean by hybrid?
And what manufacture has a better review...which sounds better in comparable models?

I'm totally new to tubes and want to get something to experience the sound. I Will be using Grado SR80 and an analog CD player.

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #4 of 11
He means that it uses both vacuum tube and solid state type amplifiers in the design. There are, of course, trade offs associated with both methods.:
Hybrid:
-works better with lower impedance headphones
-depending on topology can have a more neutral sound
-lower energy requirements
-"best of both worlds"

All Tube:
-not as good with lower impedance headphones
-higher energy requirements (producing a lot of heat)
-a sound that is difficult to replicate with solid state (hence the fans, like me =D)
-less susceptible to part failure as they have better over voltage and current protection
-more tube rolling options to mix up the sound (though hybrids have that as well but more limited)

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #7 of 11
i'll have both of these shortly.  I suspect the little dot mkiii is gonna be hands down better (at least for higher impedance phones) like my dt880 250ohm.

I was FAIRLY impressed by the pa-10, but it's not much better than the amp I get via just my phone with a wolfson dac and voodoo. 

my friend tried it out and he says it's AMAZING (the trends pa-10) using his shelf stereo system as the source.  He also says he's in absolute dub step nirvana....but also likes it for his rock.  He's also using a pretty inexpensive, low impedance panasonic htf-890 open cans (around $35-40), but i've been pretty impressed with those cans as well.  I haven't done a side by side with that and my new dt880 250ohm though, but from what I remember, the dt880 does everything better by quite a big margin, although I probably could have settled for the panasonics for a while. 

I plan on selling the trends pa-10,   I didn't realize the difference between hybrid and all tube design..........and I'm looking very much forward to hearing the Little dot MKIII which is on its way to me.... because I still haven't REALLY heard the warmth/unique tube sound which I've heard people rave about.  The PA-10 DOES have some more warmth and smooth sound, but not as much as I would have expected. 

the tube i have in there is an IEC mullard...ecc82 made in Gt. Britain.  is pretty good from what I have gathered--  possibly not as good as made in russia ones...

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #8 of 11
I've had several Little Dot amps, don't buy a Mk1 and expect to be blown away, all of them are fantastic pairings for Grados actually. The failings of the Little Dot series (if any) would be due to a budget constraint, not because of country of origin. I'm almost certain any American produced tube amp that wasn't a DIY would be worse just simply because of budget :)

Personally if you're shooting for the Mk3, you're already in very good hands mate.

If you want to buy American, take a look at the Schiit Valhalla. I've never listened to it, but I have their Lyr on the way, but hey that way we can be Schiit buddies together!

I mean with the LD Mk3, you're paying 59 for shipping, the Valhalla is 349 plus like a 12 dollar shipping charge. The amp cost to shipping cost ratio is a lot better haha :)

Quote:
Any opinions on the little Dot stuff...is it just a cheap Chinese product? Would It drive my headphones, Grado SR80?

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #9 of 11
are the stock MKIII tubes fine?  this will be my first real tube amp.  my only other experience is the hybrid pa-10

Quote:
I've had several Little Dot amps, don't buy a Mk1 and expect to be blown away, all of them are fantastic pairings for Grados actually. The failings of the Little Dot series (if any) would be due to a budget constraint, not because of country of origin. I'm almost certain any American produced tube amp that wasn't a DIY would be worse just simply because of budget :)

Personally if you're shooting for the Mk3, you're already in very good hands mate.

If you want to buy American, take a look at the Schiit Valhalla. I've never listened to it, but I have their Lyr on the way, but hey that way we can be Schiit buddies together!

I mean with the LD Mk3, you're paying 59 for shipping, the Valhalla is 349 plus like a 12 dollar shipping charge. The amp cost to shipping cost ratio is a lot better haha :)

Quote:
Any opinions on the little Dot stuff...is it just a cheap Chinese product? Would It drive my headphones, Grado SR80?

Mar 18, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
are the stock MKIII tubes fine?  this will be my first real tube amp.  my only other experience is the hybrid pa-10

Yeah they're fine. Tubes are not as much of an upgrade so much as final tuning of the sound. The real upgrade is modding your amps to produce more current if anything and then to take more powerful driver tubes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back