which is better head room ultra micro dac+ultra micro amp or head room desktop amp/dac??
Nov 24, 2009 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ety0820

New Head-Fier
i don`t know which to buy ultra micro combo or desktop amp/dac.....

are there any difference of sound? or are there too little difference?
confused_face(1).gif

please give me some advices!!
frown.gif

Nov 24, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 19
I don't know that there's any difference in the electronic components used on the boards. (Both Ultra versions use Burr-Brown OPA627s, for example.) I suppose it boils down to space issues, connection inputs, and DAC options.

The desktop offers full RCA jacks on the back and an optional, integrated DAC with 3 of its own connectors (coax, optical, USB). You can also upgrade to a stepped volume control, which I suppose will offer a firmer feel, a more stable presentation.

The micro uses 1/8" jack inputs and as far as I remember requires an outboard DAC for that functionality.

So if like me you're connecting full-sized components and have headphones with dedicated 1/4" jacks, go with the 6" x 6" desktop. If you integrate the DAC, it's one less wall wart and set of outboard connections to fuss with. Plus the larger form factor makes it easier to reach and use the switches.

If you're connecting a portable mp3 player or laptop, space is at a premium, or you want somewhat greater transportability, go with the 3" x 3" micro.

I have the Desktop Ultra and dedicated Power Supply. I wept like a grandmother when I tossed my billfold to the moths for it. It's given me nothing but smiles in return. I feel no need whatever to trade to anything else.

Nov 24, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bigger is always better
biggrin.gif

I would get the Desktop amp/dac

It`s truth!! i begin to feel like buying desktop amp/dac!!

Nov 24, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmarano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Desktop Ultra and dedicated Power Supply. I wept like a grandmother when I tossed my billfold to the moths for it. It's given me nothing but smiles in return. I feel no need whatever to trade to anything else.

I want desktop ultra!!!!
duggehsmile.png
But it`s too expensive for me......
confused_face.gif

So i have some more questions. Are there any other amp or dac you recommend?? For example tube amps.I am very interested in tube amps!! But i am ignorant of tubes....

By the way my components is below.

macbook~Dr DAC2DX~AKG K702 SEN HD595, ER-4S,westone3 and IE8 so on.
dt880smile.png

Nov 24, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 19
I assume we are talking about the Ultra versions of both, not the Ultra Micro vs. standard Desktop?

If we are talking about Ultra Desktop AND Micro stack, then there is absolutely no difference in electronics, the only difference is there is less distance between everything meaning less possible loss, and the Desktop has more versatility.

If we're talking standard Desktop vs. Ultra Micro, the Ultra is always going to be better except in versatility. Ultra products = same electronics as each other.

Nov 24, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume we are talking about the Ultra versions of both, not the Ultra Micro vs. standard Desktop?

If we are talking about Ultra Desktop AND Micro stack, then there is absolutely no difference in electronics, the only difference is there is less distance between everything meaning less possible loss, and the Desktop has more versatility.

If we're talking standard Desktop vs. Ultra Micro, the Ultra is always going to be better except in versatility. Ultra products = same electronics as each other.

Sorry my post is insufficient...I`m talking about standard desktop dac/amp VS ultra micro.
Necrolic,you are using desktop dac/amp,aren`t you? So i would like to listen your review of desktop!!
L3000.gif

Nov 24, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ety0820 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry my post is insufficient...I`m talking about standard desktop dac/amp VS ultra micro.
Necrolic,you are using desktop dac/amp,aren`t you? So i would like to listen your review of desktop!!
L3000.gif

I just received mine a couple days ago, I'll post up a review on it later on when I've had a bit more chance to listen to it.

I'm absolutely loving it so far though, it really helps control the bass on my D5000s, not to mention increasing their soundstage. The controlled bass helped bring out the mids and it is a significant improvement.

I can't recommend them one way or the other for sure right now, but off initial impressions the Desktop is GREAT.

However, the Ultra Micro has better electronics, and will therefore give you better sound. I can guarantee that, however it lacks the convenience of the Desktop.

Either way you'll be happy, but I think you'll get more for your money with the Ultra Micro (the Desktop is barely different from the standard Micro stack, and it's $300 more just for a few extra connection options). If you can afford it, it will give you a larger improvement than the Desktop.

Nov 25, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

I just received mine a couple days ago, I'll post up a review on it later on when I've had a bit more chance to listen to it.

I'm absolutely loving it so far though, it really helps control the bass on my D5000s, not to mention increasing their soundstage. The controlled bass helped bring out the mids and it is a significant improvement.

I can't recommend them one way or the other for sure right now, but off initial impressions the Desktop is GREAT.

However, the Ultra Micro has better electronics, and will therefore give you better sound. I can guarantee that, however it lacks the convenience of the Desktop.

Either way you'll be happy, but I think you'll get more for your money with the Ultra Micro (the Desktop is barely different from the standard Micro stack, and it's $300 more just for a few extra connection options). If you can afford it, it will give you a larger improvement than the Desktop.

Thank you for giving your opinion! I refer to your advices! By the way do you have desktop power supply? Does it provides any improvement with sound??
is improvement so big or little?

please continue to get along with me.
jecklinsmile.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Thank you for giving your opinion! I refer to your advices! By the way do you have desktop power supply? Does it provides any improvement with sound??
is improvement so big or little?

please continue to get along with me.
jecklinsmile.gif

I only have the stock power cord that comes with the amp. It sounds fantastic with that alone.

You will see a larger improvement going from Desktop to Ultra Desktop than you will from Desktop to Desktop/Desktop PS. Something like the Desktop Power Supply is really just something you're going to want to squeeze that last few percent out of your headphones if your rig can't be upgraded anywhere else.

Now if you've got an extra $100 lying around, the Astrodyne could be a nice compromise, I'd assume it would offer some (doubt it'd be a lot, but some) improvement over the stock power supply, without you needing to drop like $500.

But again, it sounds fantastic on the stock power cord.

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #11 of 19
The ultra micro amp and ultra micro dac will sound better than the standard desktop amp.

The electronics are higher-end -- the only thing you lose is the single package and some connector options, but for most people the Ultra Micros should be just fine.

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by backwardsname /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ultra micro amp and ultra micro dac will sound better than the standard desktop amp.

The electronics are higher-end -- the only thing you lose is the single package and some connector options, but for most people the Ultra Micros should be just fine.

This man is correct, as I said 3 times earlier, the Ultra Micro will have better SQ for that $200, so unless you're desperate for a very functional amp with 1/4" output as well as RCA inputs and a DAC all in a single box, you can get that, or better yet save for the Ultra Desktop.

Then again, HeadRoom themselves state that the difference made between the standard and Ultra lineup is negligible unless you have a very high end source and very high end headphones on either side of it, or are extremely picky about your sound signature.

Quoted from the site:

"FYi~ The HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Amp, Balanced Ultra Desktop Amp, and the little Ultra Micro Amp now come "stock" with our top-level 'Max' electronics module. The Max module remains a very complex 'hold-your-breath' type of tech maneuver and is executed with exceedingly painstaking care utilizing crazy-expensive audio parts -- which is why only those with the trickest of audio gear and pristine ears should bother; Most listeners should just lay back and enjoy the lovely sound of getting it right between your ears in this less spendy 'Home' electronics module. That being said, however, our top-level 'Max' electronics module is the ultimate headphone amp performance upgrade/installation and will easily allow one to discern the subtle sonic differences between a $3,000 and $10,000 reference CD player."

In other words, unless you've got a very high end system, or your ears are super sensitive, the standard should be fine. Saves you $200 as well.

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #13 of 19
Thank you ,Necrolic and Backwardsname!!
beyersmile.png

i know that i should buy ultra micro DAC and AMP! and probably,i will be satisfied with ultra micro!!

Thank you for your advices and opinion!! i begin to save money for ultra micro!!
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Thank you ,Necrolic and Backwardsname!!
beyersmile.png

i know that i should buy ultra micro DAC and AMP! and probably,i will be satisfied with ultra micro!!

Thank you for your advices and opinion!! i begin to save money for ultra micro!!
bigsmile_face.gif

No problem, but before you finalize your decision, I'm curious, what is your source and what headphones are you using?

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

No problem, but before you finalize your decision, I'm curious, what is your source and what headphones are you using?

my rig is below
macbook~DR.DAC2DX~AKG K702,HD650,ATH-ES10,ER-4S,westone3 and IE8!!
k701smile.gif

my tunes library in iTunes is all encoded wav !!
smily_headphones1.gif

i worried whether my rig can drive k702 or HD650 enough.....

This is why i begin to want to buy head room`s AMP and DAC!
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back