Which is better: GRADO SR80 or Sennheiser HD 555?
Oct 22, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #17 of 36
Update:

+6 on the Grado SR80
+1 on the Senn HD 555

Anymore suggestions & insights?

Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #18 of 36
HOnestly? I think it is HD555 and not even close. Seriously, I couldnt even like the SR225 more than my HD555.

If you listen strictly to rock then you might have a case for the Grados, but evn in that case I have my reserves.

Oct 22, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of people also recommend without hearing both so beware of that. Ive heard both by the way
biggrin.gif

I'll take note of that. Thanks.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of people also recommend without hearing both so beware of that. Ive heard both by the way
biggrin.gif

I have both and, based on your musical taste, recommend that you get the SR-80.

Honestly, I don't even use the HD555 for music since I got the Grados...

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #22 of 36
I bought HD555 after being disappointed with SR60 and SR80.

one big problem i had was brightness... after 10 mins my ears started aching with Sr80.... they are too bright.

HD555 have a laid back but yet detailed presentation.

if u listen to music for hours then perhaps HD555 will be better as they dont cause Hearing Fatigue.

well IMO SR80 is not even in the same league as HD555.... its slightly inferior because its supra aural and its not got that soundstage.

Try AD700 by audio technica.... highly recommended in that category.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #24 of 36
For First audiophile Headphones u ll love HD555.

they are all-rounders..

let me tell u why u ll love HD555 over Sr80 as a new to hifi world:
1. Its full size and damn comfortable... looks sophisticated.
2. It is relaxed ..it wont hurt your ears even if u listen 8 hours. try it.
3. It does great for Gaming and Movie ALSO.. so dont misunderstand.. its versatile.
4. Changes a lot after burn in....if u r an audiophile u ll love the experience of Burn in ..its like nurturing your baby and watch it grow.

the sound refines after 100+ hr.. u ll love the feeling when u notice how refined it gets.

Some more things to consider:

although they can be powered by any amp ..but chose the right amp or they ll sound colored.

iBasso D2 Boa has got nearly best synergy with them if u consider a budget.

otherwise Hornet is the best Amp to drive HD555 ..after Hornet all other amps are an overkill. (law of diminishing returns)

Try it..its not expensive and has got great resale value so u wont regret.

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #25 of 36
I think the SR80 is much like Marmite... You either hate it or you love it
biggrin.gif

I would personally recommend the SR80's over the 555's after hearing both as i just get the sense that the SR80's are a more real-sounding phone.

If you do, however, listen to any electronic music, buy the HD555. Oh, and ignore the comment saying they're both crap, as they're both unbelievable for the price
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #26 of 36
They are both good. Heck, the sr60 with reversed bowls even did some mind tricks on me and beat the hd600 with quick ab tests but listen to them in the long term and you'll soon find out that the grados are like Jedis on the weak minded. They ended up being a harsh sounding can in the end no matter what pads are used. The hd555s are a little harsh compared to the smoother hd600s but hey, for the price and the fact that they don't need an amp, they are a steal IMO.

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #27 of 36
I've heard both and they're both great phones. I own the SR80s and not the 555s, so let that be an indication of my tastes. I found the 555s a tad unengaging for music, but fantastic for games. HL2 and Portal sounded great right out of an X-Fi Gamer card.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #28 of 36
Hey Guys,

I got an offer I couldn't refuse with the SR80, so basically I went for it. I'm enjoying my new headphones as I type this. Now in the burn-in process. Anyway, I appreciate all the replies you guys made. Thank you.

May this thread serve as a reference for future buyers.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Oct 25, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #30 of 36
I don't like this business of buying used unless its last resort. You don't get the brand new smell thrill when you open the box. thats priceless
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back