which is better for safe listening?
Sep 13, 2007 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

powerdog

New Head-Fier
Got a pair of Yuin earbuds, and my problem is listening on a windy day. The wind creates a lot of bass rumble, making me turn up the volume. Canal phones sit closer to the eardrums, but would block out the wind so I could keep the volume lower.

Question, from someone with a degree of hearing loss already: which is better for your ears? Earbuds at higher volume or in-ear at lower vol?

Sep 13, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #2 of 5
Lower volume is always better than higher, for safest hearing, anyway.

If out in the wind a lot, carry both types, and switch as needed -- after all, they are quite small and easily carried.

Been there, done that.

Sep 13, 2007 at 10:47 AM Post #3 of 5
Yes. I've just seen an audiologist's post elsewhere that when outside noise forces you to turn up the volume, it's that higher volume that's the worst for your ears. He specifically said you'd be better off sealing out the noise and keeping the music lower.

It also seems that if you keep the volume below the halfway point, you're fairly safe.

Sep 13, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #4 of 5
A warning. The canal phones I have whistle when the wind blows and even if you are walking at a decent pace, especially when running. They are really only good for walking slow or sitting. If I ever replace them it will be with noise canceling canal phones.

Sep 13, 2007 at 11:44 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonolithTMA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A warning. The canal phones I have whistle when the wind blows and even if you are walking at a decent pace, especially when running. They are really only good for walking slow or sitting. If I ever replace them it will be with noise canceling canal phones.

Maybe we should draw up a list of can phones that whistle or rumble in the wind!!

My Senn px300 make a lot of noise so I switched to Shure EC2 and EC4 although I find them less comfortable in the long term.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back