Which is better for me, headphone or speakers ?
Jun 13, 2011 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

alanriedi

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm new here.
Couldn't find a topic that exactly answers my doubts so I'm creating this one.

Should I go for speakers or heaphones?
I'm thinking on Sennheiser HD598 headphones vs. KRK Rokit RP5 speakers.
I'll use them on the computer, I own a Asus Xonar D2 soundcard and listen mostly to the rock genre (lossy and lossless formats).
I'm not an audiophile but I do want some quality. My current speakers are the Logitech Z2300 (bad for music for sure).

So, I don't have good speakers and I'm without a headphone.
With which one I can reach a better sound quality? Also, what's better to notice the differences between masterings of an album?

Jun 13, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 14
I upgraded from Z2300 to a receiver and passive speakers, its a huge difference. I still use the sub from the Z2300 on the current system but almost never turn it on cause I actually like the music with less bass. If you do get the RP5s you will have to get a sub, hook up the Z2300 sub, or buy the RP6 cause even I feel like they lack bass. And RP5s are meant for studio work so you may not be used to the sound they produce. A friend of mine has them and I dont like them cause sound kind of lifeless, but you may be looking for that uncolored sound idk. With that being said I would get the Senn 598 because like you said you currently have NO headphone and these from what I read not heard are good ones. And although the Z2300 may not be the best speaker system its not that bad, if I had to I could go back to using it not happily thou. I think you would notice imperfections in your music with either 

Jun 13, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 14
Headphones if you live in an apartment like me. I've always read that headphones can give you better sound quality for the price, but since I've never listened to any speakers I can't tell you if I agree with that or not.

It would really be nice tho to get up and do some things around the house and still be able to hear your music.

Jun 13, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 14
Hard to say, this is a question only you yourself can answer properly...

Personally, if you can use reasonable volumes without disturbing anyone, I'd go with the speakers.
Headphones are more detailed, yes, but speakers have much better sound-stage. So they tend to sound more natural.

Sound-quality-wise, you might also want to consider your room characteristics. Square rooms have some nasty resonant nodes, and if your room is too small, the bass might get boomy (coupled with resonances, things could get ugly). Headphones have no such problems.

Jun 13, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
I upgraded from Z2300 to a receiver and passive speakers, its a huge difference. I still use the sub from the Z2300 on the current system but almost never turn it on cause I actually like the music with less bass. If you do get the RP5s you will have to get a sub, hook up the Z2300 sub, or buy the RP6 cause even I feel like they lack bass. And RP5s are meant for studio work so you may not be used to the sound they produce. A friend of mine has them and I dont like them cause sound kind of lifeless, but you may be looking for that uncolored sound idk. With that being said I would get the Senn 598 because like you said you currently have NO headphone and these from what I read not heard are good ones. And although the Z2300 may not be the best speaker system its not that bad, if I had to I could go back to using it not happily thou. I think you would notice imperfections in your music with either 

Thanks for the answer.
Based on what you said I'll get the heaphones first then.
I don't care too much about bass, I'm using less than 1/4 of the bass right now, it depends the situation.
About the Z2300 and RP5, can I assume based on what you said that the Z2300 are funnier to listen (foot tapping) ? If so, getting the heaphones before is better for sure because I'll be able to choose between a colored sound and a flat sound.

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 14
you have a made a great choice there, as you already have a PC speaker system. it wouldn't hurt to try headphones at this stage, because you can always upgrade to better speakers in the future and right now you can have the best of both worlds. also if you do not find headphones to your liking you can always sell them so I suggest you keep resale value in mind when you are deciding on your headphones just in case...

I was into headphone audio for 2 years because I lived in a dormitory inside a hospital with 3 other people and I couldn't make noise. but having finished my training and having an apartment all to my own, I made the shift to speaker audio and I haven't used my headphones recently. speakers really give such an amazing depth, although details and nuances are more profound with headphones in my experience. I find speakers to me more enjoyable, but not that absolute as to make me sell my headphones as of now :D  

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #8 of 14
Amazon.com

Apr 27, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #10 of 14
Is the hd598 your only option?
I would recommend the mdr ma900s. They've got a little more bass, better mids, and a much larger sound stage from what I've heard. I only own the ma900s though:http://www.head-fi.org/t/629385/ma900-review-the-hd598-killer/0_50

Apr 27, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #11 of 14
Get both, you know you will anyway in enough time.

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 14
Is the hd598 your only option?
I would recommend the mdr ma900s. They've got a little more bass, better mids, and a much larger sound stage from what I've heard. I only own the ma900s though:http://www.head-fi.org/t/629385/ma900-review-the-hd598-killer/0_50

That might have been helpful advice . . . ALMOST TWO YEARS AGO when the OP asked for advice :wink:

Apr 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
Lol. Yeah, I saw it just after I wrote it. Plus the ma900s came out last year so...

It's all depend on your room acoustic and your equipments. With a good set up of the Apogee ribbon speakers and some Audio Research tube pre amp, class A amps from Krell mono blocks, you not only hear the music but you can "see" the music. No competition there. With a poorly set up system, you better off to go with the "best" ( subjective) headphone you can get + DAC + headphone amp.

My two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back