Which is better as a DAC, E-mu 0404 or Denon dcd3000?
Dec 25, 2004 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Acid_lt

New Head-Fier
Hello, merry christmas and happy new year to everyone.

I have denon dcd3000 it's really awesome player, and besides it has spdif (both optical and coxial) inputs, so it can act as a DAC. Right now I am listening to music through nvidia soundstorm optical out (on my abit nf-7s) running to dcd3000 to Rotel ra-930ax to home made speakers. Around New Year I should get emu 0404, and in two weeks I hope to finish building Pass Labs Aleph5 power amplifier. I bought 0404 because in some thread I saw Lan or someone else say, that 0404 has better digital output than 1212m. (correct me if I am mistaken), and I was planning connecting it to my denon dcd3000 and then to rotel 930ax through rca connectors, or when I finish Aleph5 to it through balanced connectors. I also plan of modding denon and emu. But i was wondering, does denon dcd as a DAC would sound better than emu 0404 internal dac
confused.gif
? What would you recomend? Any thoughts, suggestions or discusions welcome, thanks.

Dec 25, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acid_lt
I bought 0404 because in some thread I saw Lan or someone else say, that 0404 has better digital output than 1212m. (correct me if I am mistaken)

I don't believe I've said that. It was a modded 0404 which beat the 1212m in digital out.

Since you can mod, tweak, and build things yourself, just use your ears and adjust to your tastes. Nobody has heard your setup in your house so can't really make any comparisions.

Dec 25, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 6
Sorry Lan for misunderstanding your statement. Still I am wandering, what mods can be done to digital part of the card, because as I searched I found people make modifications for analog part: remove output caps and buffer opamps, change output opamp. Also I would like to ask what is the difference between LT1364 and AD8xxx opamps. I can't get opamps easily where I live, I think I will need to order them (I hope not), so I want to know the sonic difference between various opamps to chose right one for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2005 at 10:33 AM Post #4 of 6
^^^^

Jan 2, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 6
sorry for the late reply. i missed this thread.

Acid_lt, change some capacitors which deal with the digital section to some better ones like sanyo oscon.

Jan 3, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks Lan for advice.. My 0404 should arrive tomorrow. I will try to compare denon dcd3000 to emu 0404 both digital and analog sections and post some results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back