which is best? shure e4 or etymotic er4?
Jan 18, 2007 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

basmatirice

100+ Head-Fier
does the shure block as much noise as the ety when using the tri flanges? can the sure be comfortably worn without putting the cable over the ear (i've sensitive areas around my ears).

which would you get/recomend and why?

Jan 18, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 7
I would recommend the ER4S first because I feel that they have better detail.

I like(and own) both but use the Ety 75% of the time. Comfort & fit level is slightly higher with E4 but this does not outweigh the SQ comparison for me.

Jan 18, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 7
its much more comfortable when you wear the cable around your ear because it prevents the cable from pulling the earbud out of your ear and lets the iem sit in your ear which makes for a good, consistant seal.

Jan 18, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 7
please make sure to post your opinions on the sound quality. which sounds more realistic and live?

Jan 18, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #6 of 7
In this case, there is no "best"; they are both very capable IEMs. I have a strong preference for the ER4, but I will try to give a balanced view.

The E4 is not designed to sound realistic - it is designed to sound euphonic. It has a midrange-forward sound signature, and a slightly rolled off upper midrange. The overall sound is warm and slightly dark. Transient response and detail are very good. Comfort is good - these IEMs do not go very deep into your ear canal and can be used with Comply foam tips. The cord is designed to go over your ear and it is awkward to leave hanging down. I enjoyed my E4s very much, far more than I enjoyed my super.fi 5 pros. However, my desire for a brighter sound led me to the ER4.

The ER4 is designed to sound realistic. They are designed to create the same frequency response at the eardrum that would be found in a live situation. They have slightly less bass than the E4 and less forward mids. They have far more energy in the upper midrange region than the E4, particularly in the 3kHz area. This gives them a much brighter sound than the E4. Some people like this, others find it harsh. I enjoy it. Transient speed is extremely fast (the ER4 is often mentioned when discussing the "fastest" headphons) very detailed, and quite neutral. They insert fairly deeply into your ear canal, and the cord hangs straight down, unless you insert them upside down and loop the cord over your ear. They also take Comply tips, although the nozzle isn't technically designed for them, so it takes a bit of doing to get them on.

The biggest weakness of the ER4 is the extreme cord noise. Unless you clip the cord to your shirt using the provided clip, or find some other way to secure it, any kind of movement of the cord or friction against it will be clearly and annoyingly audible. The E4 does not have much cord noise, especially not when compared to the ER4.

The E4s are easily driven by an iPod or similar device. You will have to turn the volume up much louder with the ER4s if you are not using an amplifier. Most say that the ER4 sounds flat and uninvolving without an amplifier; I could not tell the difference. But it is something to consider.

Jan 18, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by basmatirice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does the shure block as much noise as the ety when using the tri flanges? can the sure be comfortably worn without putting the cable over the ear (i've sensitive areas around my ears).

which would you get/recomend and why?

For me - the tri flanges for the ER4S are probably the most comfortable of all IEM's I have used.

I too own both Shures and Ety's and I use my Ety's over 90% of the time.

If isolation is important, go the ER4. It's simply unrivaled in attenuation.

Etys also have the shirt clip which makes listening for long periods very comfortable. I hate looping the chord behind your ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back