Which is a Good investment for a circum headphone
May 23, 2009 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ljcii

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
May i ask what circumaural headphone is a good investment considering that I will never be able to afford a full desktop amplifier? Currently i own an ipod nano and in the future, i'll probably only be able to get a portable dac/amp. I am looking for a headphone that possess these qualities.
1. I've never used any headphones, only iems, and they say that iems cannot reproduce the rumble that can be found in headphones, so i am looking for that low rumble which does not intrude the mids etc. (probably all headphones have this? i dont know.)
2. Good soundstage.
3. Comfort
4. A non-fatiguing sound for prolonged listening.

I know about the ah-d1001 ath-es7,m50 and esw9 but is leaning more towards the d1001s. Are there any circumaural options out there that are already good unamped and even better amped? Any suggestions would also be appreciated. (they will also be used with the computer)

May 23, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 8
If you can snag one before they go out of stock, I fully recommend the JVC RX700's. I have never had a chance to try the D1001 but those were the pair I was looking at prior to the JVCs.

And the ES7 and ESW9 aren't really circumaural btw.

May 23, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 8
They can be modded to be more comfortable i think. The reason why i was looking for circumaural was that i thought it'll be more comfortable than supra-aural. As long as it's comfortable for long listening periods, i don't mind if it is supra-aural.

May 23, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 8
esw9 should be quite comfortable and fairly easy to drive and close to what you're looking for.
For circum-aural, I'd look at the AudioTechnica A (closed) or AD (open) line, they're supposedly easily amplified too.

May 23, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 8
D1001 is perfect
large soundstage for an closed headphone
very comfortable.
and it's not fatiguing (to me)

BTW, what source are you using with these? (sound card, MP3 player, etc.)
Because, everything that I have besides my X-fi causes fatigue. More specifically, my onboard sound in my laptop is horribly fatiguing.

May 23, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 8
Nano4g with travagan's colour
creative audigy live for sound-card

May 23, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 8
I have both ES7 and CAL! (D1001 clone). While you can bend the frames on ES7 to make it more comfortable it's not near the level of CAL! though. However, it sounds better to my ears, with more separation and extended, controlled bass. They actually sound very similar, and if I had known that I'd have probably just gotten the CAL! ($40 off eBay) I've never used M50 but read that it's not very comfortable as a studio monitor. ESW9 is significantly more expensive than the previous 3, and if you are seeing one for sale in the same price region it's probably a fake. I almost bought a fake off of craigslist before tracking down the guy's eBay username.

May 24, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #8 of 8
I intend to save up for a hornet or pico or ibasso d3/2 in the future. It'll probably come 6 months after i purchase the headphones. Are there any other suggestions around that can allow me to listen to good music within the 6 months and even better music after that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back