Which IPOD?
Aug 5, 2008 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Deadneddz

100+ Head-Fier
Which IPOD is a good candidate for amping via lineout?

Current Classic? If not which gen?

Current Nano? If not which gen?

Interested more in the nano becuase of size....

Or.......

should i stay with my d2 and just amp it hp/o?

idk im getting really sick of the touch interface, and it seems to have poor separation compared with the ipod both set flat.

suggestions?

Aug 5, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 38
buy an ipod or keep your d2, just keep the d2,

lol i recently bought a d2, and am selling my ipod

Aug 5, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #3 of 38
i know i prob should but i just cant stand the touch controls

ITS SO ANNOYING AND HARD TO USE!!!

apple lossless seems easy enough and there are so many accessories available for the ipod.

LOD on ipod? or headphone out on the d2?

cant seem to figure out which will work better with an amp

Aug 5, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #4 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadneddz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i know i prob should but i just cant stand the touch controls

ITS SO ANNOYING AND HARD TO USE!!!

apple lossless seems easy enough and there are so many accessories available for the ipod.

LOD on ipod? or headphone out on the d2?

cant seem to figure out which will work better with an amp

Classic 160 has a reasonable sound and that huge drive means lots of high quality music files. I use LOD to an external amp and it sounds superb. Headphone out is a bit naff unless you use something that is extremely sensitive.

I've nearly filled mine up with music and movies so if they produced something bigger, I'd get it.

I have no problems with the sound via an amp. Battery life is pretty good too.

Ian

Aug 5, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 38
Can't really go wrong with either a current gen Nano or Classic. Otherwise a 5th or 5.5th gen Video is good. The Nano would mate well with a really small amp and really is pocketable, unlike just about all the 'portable' rigs you see here.

You might even decide to pass on the portable amp altogether; have a listen to it first.

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 38
I have a 160GB classic, stuffed with lossless, just the best way to keep your music with you on the move.
I'm planning on getting a LOD and amp soon.

BT

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Classic 160 has a reasonable sound and that huge drive means lots of high quality music files. I use LOD to an external amp and it sounds superb. Headphone out is a bit naff unless you use something that is extremely sensitive.

I've nearly filled mine up with music and movies so if they produced something bigger, I'd get it.

I have no problems with the sound via an amp. Battery life is pretty good too.

Ian

Agreed.

As to which iPod to get, ask yourself how much lossless music you're going to want to have with you at any given time? Me, I like as much as I can carry - thus it was the Classic 160. Oh, and definitely go for the line-out. Headphone outs don't offer anywhere near the same sound.

Aug 5, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 38
iPod 5.5 gen is GREAT. I have a D2 and I LOVED my 5.5 - too bad it got jacked!!!! On to the D2 BUT I'd still get a 5.5 if'n I had the moolah!!!!

Aug 5, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iPod 5.5 gen is GREAT. I have a D2 and I LOVED my 5.5 - too bad it got jacked!!!! On to the D2 BUT I'd still get a 5.5 if'n I had the moolah!!!!

Yeah prob gunna try and find a 5.5g ipod, i think you can find them off the various sellers on amazon for around 250ish new for 30g version.

Idk i guess they are kinda rare now?

If i get one ill prob imod it, i like the idea of it

Aug 5, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #11 of 38
I have 3G, 4G Photo, 5.5 and classic iPods. They all sound great through line out. I prefer the older user interface of the 5.5 to the Classic, but not enough to do without a 160 GB hard drive. Any iPod you get will likely be good.

See ya
Steve

Aug 5, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #12 of 38
Just to confirm with the OP, you are sick of the interface of the iPod Touch??? You are the first person I've heard say that! The touch interface is the most intuitive, easy to use interface I have ever come accross in any device!

Aug 5, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #13 of 38
think he meant interface of the touch controls of the d2

Aug 5, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
think he meant interface of the touch controls of the d2

Ah, now the post makes much more sense! Carry on as you were....

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by akki007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to confirm with the OP, you are sick of the interface of the iPod Touch??? You are the first person I've heard say that! The touch interface is the most intuitive, easy to use interface I have ever come accross in any device!

I was referring to my D2. I really do not like touch period though, although i find the ipod touch easier to use than my D2, but still like tactile controls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back