Which input capacitor for clone Grado Ra1
Nov 24, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 10
I suspect it will sound just fine.

More importantly, what was the voltage rating for the original capacitor? What model of Solen?

The WIMA In the picture might be a bit overkill for your application in terms of power handling.

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 10
Partsconnexion has Solen caps, and many others. 

You dont *need* 4.7uf caps for the RA-1 clone. You can go much smaller and still get a very low -3db corner frequency. 

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
I suspect it will sound just fine.

More importantly, what was the voltage rating for the original capacitor? What model of Solen?

The WIMA In the picture might be a bit overkill for your application in terms of power handling.

The original is 4.7uf 400V, it look like this:

Quote:
Partsconnexion has Solen caps, and many others. 

You dont *need* 4.7uf caps for the RA-1 clone. You can go much smaller and still get a very low -3db corner frequency. 

But i can't find these caps any where in my country 
frown.gif

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 10
After some research i think these capacitors are good enough, i will go for it. 
Another question: if i change the 465k and 122k resistors in the feedback loop to 5k and 1k and the volume from 100k to 10k, does it affect the sound?

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 10
Nov 25, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
After some research i think these capacitors are good enough, i will go for it. 
Another question: if i change the 465k and 122k resistors in the feedback loop to 5k and 1k and the volume from 100k to 10k, does it affect the sound?

there will be slightly higher voltage noise with the higher value resistors, but less current noise, whether you can effectively use a 10k pot will depend on the output impedance of the source you are driving it with

Dec 23, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #9 of 10
So in the end, i have done the RA1 with very good result but i prefer the sound of it using SCR MKP 4.7uf/400V better than the original Solen MKP 5uf/400V which is more expensive. But when i using a switch, when i turn it on, there are no problem but when i turn it off, i have clicking sound from my headphone and i mesure between the ground and right, left channel, it was 9V!!! I don't know what's the problem?

Dec 24, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #10 of 10
You need a dual-pole switch to break the connections from both batteries. You can leave the ground connection unbroken, but you must switch both the positive and the negative connections. A dual-pole switch is 2 switches built in the same package and operated by the same lever.

w

Users who are viewing this thread

Back