Which in-ear phones?
Sep 29, 2004 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

irdepesca572

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!
I'm new to this headphone thing but I'm thinking about getting in-ear phones. I currently use HD 212 Pro's but it gets annoying and the thing around your head. lol I'm not sure whether to get the Shure e2c's or Etymotic ER6(i)'s.
confused.gif
I use an ipod. Please below 150$.

Thanks
lambda.gif

Sep 29, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 13
Well, I'll comment on the er-6 (regular version). I found the highs harsh, and the sound as a whole appeared to struggle, I can't really explain it. The detail was good, but the vocals were horrid. The "i" version is said be a noticeable improvement, and it's "made" for the ipod, so look them up.

Sep 30, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 13
I have the Shure e2c's and the Ety 6i's that I use with an iPod. I've had the 6i's for four weeks, the Shure's were a recent purchase.

After about a week of listening to the e2c's continuously, I went back to the 6i's. What a difference! I prefer the 6i's in terms of comfort (with either the triple flange or foamies) and sound (much better detail). I also had an easier time getting a good seal with the 6i's.

I only used the e2's with foamies. Either my ear canal skin is super sensitive or the foamies were really rough/unfinished. I could swear they were chafing! The ety foamies were much more comfortable and smoother. As far as isolation is concerned, I had better isolation with the 6i's (given that I could get a better seal).

I did like the build of the e2's. The thicker cord means a reduction of microphonics -- an essential if you're using your iPod on the go or in the gym. I'm going to try the e2 silicon tip to see if it's more comfortable. Given that the e2's are up to $60.00 less expensive than the 6i's, I did expect a difference in sound quality. To some people, the difference (which just may be my aural preference, not so much a difference in actual sound quality) may be so negligible it doesn't warrant the extra expense. But to my ears, and with my need for isolation, the extra $60 was money well spent.
etysmile.gif

Oct 9, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 13
Hey. I got my shipment yesterday.
biggrin.gif
I'm wondering about the filter thing. I'm new to this and I don't know why you have to change the filters and how often to change them. Also, are the flange eartips supposed to be kinda itchy? Or maybe I have to get used to them?
confused.gif

Can you get spooked by someone behind you w/ these on? Do I need to "burn-in" these?

eggosmile.gif

Thanks

btw: On my iPod, should I turn off "sound check"?
cool.gif
Good w/ every type of music? sry for n00b questions

Oct 9, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 13
You shouldn't have to change the filters very often at all. I'm talking months. Don't worry about them unless you start hearing a drop in volume on one side. When that happens, it's time to change the filter. Also, make sure not to get the filters wet. If you wash your tri flanges make sure they're dry before you put them back on.

The flange tips can sometimes be itchy, especially at first. Keep some rubbing alcohol handy and clean them often. Even after getting used to them, I find that every now and then they get itchy after extended wearing.

I would use sound check if you're using an in-ear phone. All sound check does is try to equalize the volume of your songs, since digital files all have different volumes by default. It's probably about 70% effective, but it'll protect you in case there's one song that's really loud. With in-ears, you can never be too careful about volume. Remember that you have to have sound check enabled both in iTunes and on the iPod.

Burn-in probably won't have any actual effect on the phone, but it will take you some time to get used to them... so it's more like "mental" burn-in.

Oct 9, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 13
Yes you can get scared by people coming up behind you. With the ER-4 I also sometimes here details in songs that a mistake as coming from my room and that scares me. I didn't think my etys changed with burn in, I am not skeptical of burn in though, I think the senns changed a lot.

The itching could be aggravated by your ears not being clean enough, or being too dry, alcohol is very drying and I recommend against using that to clean your ears. I never itched with the tri flanges, I use foamies now and sometimes I get a little short lived itch, but this is rare and only when my ears are less clean. So as for itching, try improving your ear hygiene if you think this is suspect. If you have a lot of wax built up you can get a removal kit with drops and a bulb syringe at any drug store, you just need the drops but the bulb syringe is used to flush your ears out. I just use soap to clean the outside of my ear when I shower and let the shower water run it in my ears, that keeps mine pretty clean. If your ears are clean you might try some of the lubricants sold to hearing aid users. Some people just seem to be sensitive to the pvc material the flanges are made out of, but this seems very rare.

It seems that average filter life is around 6 months, I haven't changed mine yet in the 4 months I have had them.

Oct 9, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by irdepesca572
Thanks a lot guys. One more quick one
eek.gif
Do I have to change the foam eartips if I use them; how often?
cool.gif

Depends how dirty your ears are.
tongue.gif

Actually, you can wash them, but if you use them regularly they'll probably lose their hold after a few months, much like regular earplugs.

Oct 9, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt San
Depends how dirty your ears are.
tongue.gif

Actually, you can wash them, but if you use them regularly they'll probably lose their hold after a few months, much like regular earplugs.

Thx guys! Nice community here
orphsmile.gif
How come when I touch my cable, I can hear it in the phones
confused.gif
These good for gaming and how do I know if it's too loud for my ears? Sorry for the trouble guys.. lol
rolleyes.gif
These phones rule
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2004 at 8:20 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by irdepesca572
Thx guys! Nice community here
orphsmile.gif
How come when I touch my cable, I can hear it in the phones
confused.gif
These good for gaming and how do I know if it's too loud for my ears? Sorry for the trouble guys.. lol
rolleyes.gif
These phones rule
biggrin.gif

It's called microphonics. Anything that seals of your ears (closed headphones, canalphones, earplugs, etc) will magnify all vibrations. You'll probably get used to them, though; the er-6 doesn't have that much compared to other canalphones like the ER-4. I'd avoid eating with them on, though.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back