Which in-ear phones have the best bass?
Apr 6, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #16 of 19
good choice. i look forward to reading what you think about the e5c. you'll love the metal box...
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 6, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by raynegus
It looks like I'll try the Shure E5c! These WILL be used with an iPod (40GB), which, buy the way, ROCKS with the Grado SR80. I have a pair of Grado RS-1 which I use with an amp when I'm home bound.

{SNIP}

Set the eq to "Bass Booster" (avoid the other settings).

I'd strongly suggest turning your iPod's EQ off when you get the E5's. E5 + "Bass Booster" = way too much bass, IMHO.

Apr 6, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by AndyH
I'd strongly suggest turning your iPod's EQ off when you get the E5's. E5 + "Bass Booster" = way too much bass, IMHO.

Agreed. If I use any eq at all w/ the e5s it's usually the treble boost, and sometimes latin.

Apr 6, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by raynegus

In my experience you have to rip from high quality CDs at 256 kbps AAC to get sound you can feel. I admit that 128 kbps gives an anemic sound, but try it at 256 kbps. Spend the extra hundred bucks to get the 40GB to hold those bigger files and quit complaining. Set the eq to "Bass Booster" (avoid the other settings).

The real deciding factor in sound quality is who engineered that particular CD. Variation among remastered discs is enormous. If you rip from a poorly mastered disc, the AAC file will be poor also.

If you want to try ripping to MP3, you should probably try the LAME encoder with the alt presets. I use --alt-preset insane, which is much higher quality than 320kbps CBR LAME in regular mode. Even APS or APX is quite good, and much higher quality than the equivalent counterparts in terms of bit rate anyway.

If you do want visceral impact with your bass, high quality MP3s are a must, as otherwise the compression will act as a high pass filter, and mirk up the treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back