Which in-ear headphones are right for me?
Nov 18, 2011 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mratner

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody! First time poster here.

I am in the market for new in-ear headphones.

I have had Apple's in-ear headphones for the past few years, and they've broken on me a few times. I only got them originally because they were one of the first headsets that the remote and mic.

I listen to alternative rock and lots of hip-hop. I enjoy listening to my music with the volume all the way up.

I require:
  1. Microphone and music/call controls (for play/pause, volume, picking up and hanging up calls, etc.)
  2. A minimum one-year warranty.
  3. At least three included ear tip sizes.
  4. Less than $200

I prefer:
  1. A recognizable name.
  2. Stylish.
  3. Less than $150.

If anybody can give me some insight, that'd be awesome. Thanks!

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
Hello everybody! First time poster here.

I am in the market for new in-ear headphones.

I have had Apple's in-ear headphones for the past few years, and they've broken on me a few times. I only got them originally because they were one of the first headsets that the remote and mic.

I listen to alternative rock and lots of hip-hop. I enjoy listening to my music with the volume all the way up.

I require:
  1. Microphone and music/call controls (for play/pause, volume, picking up and hanging up calls, etc.)
  2. A minimum one-year warranty.
  3. At least three included ear tip sizes.
  4. Less than $200

I prefer:
  1. A recognizable name.
  2. Stylish.
  3. Less than $150.

If anybody can give me some insight, that'd be awesome. Thanks!

If you have a large ear canal, get Xears Nature N3i

I use this to listen to hip-hop/rap, awesome

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 9
Look Here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-205-iems-compared-j-phonic-k2-sp-added-11-13-11
At the bottom there's a large chart that indicates which models have microphone options
Some are:
Etymotic HF2
Monster Turbine Gold (I think the Mic set is only like $170 http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Turbine-Audiophile-Speaker-ControlTalk/dp/B002NTPLXM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321597303&sr=8-2)
Audeo Phonak PFE

I haven't heard any of them, so I can't tell you much more about them, but ljokerl has pretty comprehensive reviews of all of those on his thread, as well as the Apple In-ears so you can compare.

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
What do you guys think of the Bose MIE2i? They're one of the highest-rated headphones on Amazon.

You can find something better, trust me when I say that.  Also, take anything Etymotic off the list, they won't do for the hip hop. 

Some questions first though, what did you like about the Apple IEMs?  Was the bass sufficient?  What didn't you like about the Apple IEMs? 

Some suggestions (until we can scratch things off as we learn more about your sound preferences):
  1. Monster Turbines Gold/Copper
  2. Phonak PFE
  3. XEars N3i
  4. Brainwavz M4
  5. NUForce NE700
  6. MEE CC51P

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 9
The Bose ones sound ok and aren't outrageously expensive, but again you can get better for the price, and that little silicone piece has a tendency to rip very quickly, and I have no idea if it's replaceable.

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #7 of 9
Monster turbine pro golds (MTPG) with controls will suit you perfectly methinks

Good bass, a little over-priced (but seeing as u are in the US it should be fine), great warranty (permitting you buy from an authorised seller), good sound, not bad isolation, great looks (IMO), nice punchy and non-rolled off bass (unlike the denon AHC710's)

Nov 18, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #8 of 9
Klispch Image X5is if you can get a good price for them. 

Otherwise you can always save yourself some money and go with the Image S4is.  They sound almost as good and are only like $50.  

Or the Turbines are also a good option, though dollar-for-dollar I'd personally choose Klipsch (but that's just me).

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Klispch Image X5is if you can get a good price for them. 

Otherwise you can always save yourself some money and go with the Image S4is.  They sound almost as good and are only like $50.  

Or the Turbines are also a good option, though dollar-for-dollar I'd personally choose Klipsch (but that's just me).

For his price range, he can do a lot better than the S4s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back