Which IEMs with detailed sound focused on guitars and vocals should I buy ?
Feb 9, 2014 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

i44p6NinS7fj5ka

New Head-Fier
Hello there,

I've had a pair of d-Jays for the past 4 years and was very happy with them, but they broke last week. I loved the Jays for their ability to deliver a neutral and yet very detailed sound, especially in the mid and high range. I rediscovered my whole music library with these, hearing loads of backup vocals I would barely hear before. The separation between instruments was also very good. 

I bought a pair of Shure SE215 a week ago to replace them and have been very disappointed because of how they sound. No details, lack of highs, and everything sounds like its all mashed together. Bright guitars are gone along with the detailed vocals and backup vocals I used to love on my Jays.

I'm in the process of selling them and looking for new IEMs that would better suit my need for rock music (everything from NOFX to Bob Dylan with Biffy Clyro and the Foo Fighters in between).

Here is what I'm looking for : 

- focus on rock and roll music : detailed and warm vocals, bright guitars, separation between instruments 
- great build quality would be appreciated : the Jays sounded good, the the build quality was crap
- over the ear design is no problem for me, I even like it because it provides better stability and the ear buds moves with you
- price wise, let's say I'm willing to put up to 150-200$ (I would be OK with paying less too 
smily_headphones1.gif
 )

I'm interested into the RHA MA750i because they seem to have a really solid built quality, but as always, I don't know whether these would suit my need.

Thanks for your help !

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 3
You might want to take a look at the Etymotic hf5 - I really enjoy their balance and clarity. I have not heard the RHA - it is an IEM I have had my eye on and I would really like to try it some day.

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi,

You should also consider:

Yamaha EPH-100: Extremely warm but detailed, with punchy bass, lively highs and very good separation.
VSonic GR07: More neutral across the spectrum but probably brighter and more edgy.
Hifiman RE-400: Similar to VSonic GR07 in terms of neutrality but with more energy in the upper midrange/lower treble.

This is a great thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-309-iems-compared-ces-impressions-part-4-added-01-27-14-p-852

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back