Which Iems will give a sound closest to grados
Jan 27, 2010 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

cck5

500+ Head-Fier
i might be after a pair of IEMS but i am in love with my grado sr80i. what IEMS can i grab that will give a sound similar to the Grado signature?

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 20
I read the GR8 sound nothing like Grado headphones. I'm not sure if there's an IEM that sounds like grados really but being a grado user I really enjoy listening to Westone IEMs

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by cck5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what model of Westone did you use?

He's got the Westone UM3X in his sig.

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #9 of 20
Maybe you might want to try something different then? Go for an earphone with aggressive mids like the Grados and you probably won't be disappointed. Check out ClieOS's and joker's massive review threads, they're really helpful.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #10 of 20
Not any IEM's with the Grado sound signature, but you will have something Close to their signature with the Grado brand name if you get the Grado GR8. If not maybe Shure SE530?

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #11 of 20
I wouldn't feel this existed, or else there was no reason for Grado's to be what they are, if someone could imitate their sound signature, IEM's cannot produce the whole frequency spectrum with the realism of true sound, therefore there is no such thing.

If there was they would sell as hot cakes.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #12 of 20
I love my SR60s and prefer the sound sig to the DT990 which are upstairs in my son's room.

At the moment I an getting into the Hippo VBs which have nice mids and a good low bass, in many ways lower than the SR60. The top end is a bit less clean compared with SR60s but they do have a very wide sound stage for iems and a vocal forwards presentation.

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 20
I've put this on a few other threads. I haven't listened to the GR8, but for some reason the Monster Turbines and Turbine Pros are the closest to capturing a Grado-like sound than any of my other IEMs. From an acoustic instrument reproduction to the fuzz and crunch of an electric guitar, the Turbine family gives me a good Grado sound on the road.

The original Turbines are in no way flat, but they deliver a musicality like Grados that is impressive. The Pros improve on the originals in both subtle and significant ways, somewhat like the RS-1s improve on the SR-60s. Both Grados sound similar, but the RS-1 just improve on the already great SR-60 in all areas.

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #15 of 20
I would say the Turbines are a good choice to get something similar to the Grado's in IEM form. Also putting in a vote for the Ultimate Ears Metro.Fi stuff (170 or 220). They're not exactly like Grado's but have similar style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back