Which IEM's have the best isolation? (non-custom)
Apr 1, 2007 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

JibJab

New Head-Fier
Hi there. I am looking for IEM's with really good isolation. Sound quality is also equally important. The isolation requirement is mainly because the radio is turned up fairly loud at the gym and it is impossible to block this sound out and listen to my music with normal earbuds. I have no idea how all those people with iBuds do it
confused.gif
Customs are way outside my rather meagre budget.

Here is the criteria:
-Top isolation
-Top sound quality for the price
-Secure fit (shouldn't fall out while running etc.)
-Minimal microphonics (gym use)
-Source is 1st gen iPod nano headphone out, unamped.
-Budget is about $140. Can be negotiated however (a little)
-I listen to all types of music except really "noisy" stuff like heavy metal etc.

I'd appreciate if you guys could suggest some models and briefly outline their pros and cons. Cheers
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #3 of 57
Well I use a Sennheiser HD555 at home. I'm not sure how to describe what sort of sound signature I like, but I like hearing all the different instruments/parts in a song clearly and seperately. I often find myself using the "Acoustic" EQ setting on my iPod. Clean, tight and natural bass as opposed to muddy, overpowering bass. I like the music to be involving and not distant or veiled. I hope that helps and would appreciate if you guys could suggest specific models that fit the criteria. Cheers

Apr 1, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 57
The most important part of the IEM, in terms of isolation, is the type of tip you use. I believe either tri-flanges or DIY foamies isolate the best, but I'm not sure. The important thing is to get a good fit.

Apr 1, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #6 of 57
The better the IEM isolates the more the microphonics, at least with universal IEM. ETYMOTIC is the king for universal IEM in isolation. Since you are concerned about microphonics, you can skip the flagship ER-4P, but I believe ER-6i should fit the bill. ER-6i shared the trademark Ety details of the big brother ER-4 and designed for versatile use

Apr 1, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 57
Etymotic's generally have the best isolation out of non-customs.

Apr 1, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #8 of 57
The E4c is outside my current budget. The ER6i has some really bad customer reports on earphonesolutions.com almost all saying that the build quality is poor, cables are cheap, had to have their set replaced etc. I need something with decent build quality as theere is a high chance the cable can snag on something while running or doing other exercise and moving with force. What's the verdict on this?

Other models I have found are:
-UE super.fi 3 (attractive price tag)
-UE super.fi 5 EB (probably just within budget)
-UE super.fi 5 pro (probably outside budget)

-Shure E3c
-Westone UM1

How well would these models fit my needs? Is the price difference between the various UE models justifiable?

Apr 1, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #9 of 57
I find the um1 very good at isolation. When on a noisy train the background noise is reduced to a murmur (without music). Pump the tunes and you can't hear anything but your music. Also, i like its very natural-sounding sound signature.

Apr 1, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #11 of 57
Ok, so UM1 is a good option then. The only minus point it has for me would be that it only comes with Comply tips which I understand have to be replaced every so often. This could be difficult and expensive for me as I am not in the USA and there is no local market for these things. How long would Comply tips last with about 5 hours usage per week? (not a lot of usage at all)

The UE's come with a fit kit of rubber tips which I understand can be washed and reused over and over. How well would the above mentioned UE models (namely super.fi 3 and super.fi 5 EB) fit my criteria and how do they compare to the UM1?

Apr 1, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #12 of 57
Sorry nfsu didn't see your post there. I'm not really sure exactly how much isolation I need. It might not be all that much in comparison to what some of these IEM's can do.

The UE website says that the super.fi's can isolate to 26dB. Can anyone put this into simple everyday language? ie. compare 26dB to a noise level we can all relate to. Also, what are others' experiences with UE's, their isolation and their fit? Perhaps FS mod would improve isolation?

Apr 1, 2007 at 10:14 AM Post #13 of 57
Buy foam earplugs to see, they provide about 20 dB isolation. 6dB extra is still quite big difference.
Shure E3cs have so great isolation that I cannot hear massive truck passing by 1 meter behind me (OK, I can hear when it breaks).
FS mod improves isolation, but it still isn't as good as E3cs isolation.

Apr 1, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #14 of 57
i think the etymotic er4 is for you. from what i have read here, the good thing about it is the very accurate reproduction of music; you hear the music the way it was meant to be heard. the bad thing is the anemic although accurate bass. the etys have the best isolation, i think.

Apr 1, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #15 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronmtorres /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think the etymotic er4 is for you. from what i have read here, the good thing about it is the very accurate reproduction of music; you hear the music the way it was meant to be heard. the bad thing is the anemic although accurate bass. the etys have the best isolation, i think.

OK, but if Shure E4cs are out of budget (170$ at ebay.com) Etymotics are out of budget either (they are even more expensive then E4cs)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back