Which IEM's for Cowon J3?
May 8, 2012 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ads1107

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

Looking to change earphones, yet again. Currently using a set of Monster Turbines, paired to a Cowon J3. Have been pretty happy with the Monsters, just want to splurge money like everyone else on this forum 
tongue.gif

Anywho, music I will be listening to, in no particular order of preference. Alternative, Trance (prog trance), Techno, Prog, Electro? (ie, Boys Noize, Mr Oizo, etc... not really sure what these type of dj's are categorised as these days) and what ever else I occasionally listen to.

Obviously, I like my bass (not a basshead!), but none of this 'muddy' stuff. Will be mainly used on public transport, and the occasional flight! My ears arent small, or huge, guess they're average sized!

So, have a short list (maybe not so 'short')

Sony xba-3/4 (the ex1000 sound great but look very cumbersome?)
Westone um3x  or  3/4/4r
Earsonics sm3v2
Shure SE535

Ive done a lot of reading up on all of them, but cant make a final decision. I know some have better build/wiring than others, but I will say is im usually pretty careful with all my stuff. Keeping them in cases etc...

So, what do ya think?

cheers

May 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 9
I prefer my EX1000 over the IE80 to pair with the J3. J3 has a colored sounding even when flat (no EQ's) compared to my rockboxed ipod video. I listen to my ipod video most of the time.

Yeah I am not a fan of the EX1000 looks. But you forget the looks once the music starts blowing in your ears.

May 8, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #4 of 9
Well, I've only had the SM3v2s and listened to my friends UM3x, but personally I'd prefer using the SM3s for the genres you listed.
However, some will agree/disagree and I think it all comes down to which one you like more. Best way to go: Audition!!!

If you search Google you could find some comparison threads around, such as:

VERY well written one by SoulSyde: http://www.head-fi.org/t/572161/westone-um3x-rc-vs-earsonics-sm3-v2-vs-se535-showdown-updated-10-5-11
Brief one by jjb3: http://www.head-fi.org/t/598433/shure-se535-vs-phonak-audeo-232-vs-westone-um3x-vs-earsonics-sm3-sm3v2

Good luck with your search!

May 8, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 9
Have u tried Jaben Australia?
I go to Jaben Singapore all the time and from my experience they love it when you walk in to audition, chat and empty your wallet 
biggrin.gif

EDIT: It's in Melbourne too!

May 8, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 9
Atrio mg7 sounds incredible with cowon j3 (even though i may sell my atrios soon).  Only reason i may sell them is i have asg-1s being revised and due back in bout 2 weeks, and cks77 should be here by fri.  The bass is crazy deep and full, but doesnt bleed into other levels though. 

May 8, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 9
Well, lucky me. I come back from living overseas for 9 months, and Melbourne has a proper earphones store. Yaya!!!! I saw Jaben's website last night, didnt think to see their store location... Id feel terrible going in, auditioning, walking out and buying online though... 
redface.gif
 We aussies get ripped in prices! I mean, i can pick up the sony xba-4's for a tad over $200aud from Japan, a full $200+ cheaper than here....

I have looked into the Atrios, but crossed them off my list. Am really set on one from my short list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back