Which iems do the UM56 custom tips fit on besides westone?
Jun 18, 2009 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

naddy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Can anybody provide a list of which common iems, the um56 tips will fit? Also what is the average cost to get the molds done from audiologists?

Thanks!

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by naddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

Can anybody provide a list of which common iems, the um56 tips will fit? Also what is the average cost to get the molds done from audiologists?

Thanks!

I believe they can customize the UM56 for most any universal. This FAQ is from the web site.

Quote:

I have a pair of generic earphones but they were not manufactured by Westone. Can you still make custom tips for my in-ear musicians' monitors?

Probably. Westone has been making custom products for the ear for almost 50 years and we frequently handle custom projects on request. As a result, we've come up with quite a few custom solutions.

When I was dissatisfied with their first attempt to fabricate a UM56, they had me send in my pair of Shure 500s and made the second tip to fit my particular set.

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 6
I don't own the UM56 yet, but if they'll fit Westones, they'll fit a lot of IEMs. They won't fit the UE Triple Fi Pro, without pulling out the little tube connector, because UE uses sound tubes with a wider diameter. They may not fit the PFE, whose sound tube also has a slightly different length and width. I found it possible to slide on silicon/rubber tips from other makes but not different foamies. The foamies, which need more structure in the center, come with plastic tubes that don't play well with the PFE sound tube. You can't squeeze on into the other.

I don't know how bendable the custom tips are, whether they're closer to silicon or plastic. If it's the former, you should be able to slide them onto practically anything. If it's more like the latter, they should fit most IEM, except for IEMS like the UE and the PFE. Correct me if I'm wrong but Westone, Shure and Etymotic all use the same size sound tube. That's one reason I've decided to buy the UM56 tip. It's an awesome idea and an awesome value. Why customize the whole IEM (at considerable cost) when you can customize the tip for much less?

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't own the UM56 yet, but if they'll fit Westones, they'll fit a lot of IEMs. They won't fit the UE Triple Fi Pro, without pulling out the little tube connector, because UE uses sound tubes with a wider diameter. They may not fit the PFE, whose sound tube also has a slightly different length and width. I found it possible to slide on silicon/rubber tips from other makes but not different foamies. The foamies, which need more structure in the center, come with plastic tubes that don't play well with the PFE sound tube. You can't squeeze on into the other.

I don't know how bendable the custom tips are, whether they're closer to silicon or plastic. If it's the former, you should be able to slide them onto practically anything. If it's more like the latter, they should fit most IEM, except for IEMS like the UE and the PFE. Correct me if I'm wrong but Westone, Shure and Etymotic all use the same size sound tube. That's one reason I've decided to buy the UM56 tip. It's an awesome idea and an awesome value. Why customize the whole IEM (at considerable cost) when you can customize the tip for much less?

They can build UM56 custom tips for use with for different earphones, including different size sound tubes and different angles.

A full custom still has two advantages over a custom tip. Full customs have a separate sound tube for each driver, and they are custom equalized for both the tips and the shape of your ears. A custom tip for a universal still sends all of the sound down one tube, and can actually require more corrective EQ than the stock tips, because the earphones were designed for the stock tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back