Which IEMs are most like DT880 or HD 555?
Oct 8, 2005 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sacundim

100+ Head-Fier
I have a set of Etymotics ER6, and I do not like them at all. I've listened to them in several configurations (sources: NAD C542, iPod Mini, Apple Powerbook; amps: Meier Porta-Corda MkIII USB, Meier Corda HA-2, EarMax Pro).

My complaint is that the midrange sounds very, very wrong to me; the lower midrange seems to be kind of missing, so the sound comes out pretty thin. The bass quantity could be better (though the bass that is actually there is really, really good; tight as hell).

The two systems I usually listen to are NAD C542 + EarMax Pro + DT880 (at home), and Powerbook + Porta Corda USB + HD 555 (at the office). The first one is obviously considerably better than the second, but I'm definitely happy with both.

My budget is in the $200-350 range. What I'd like to know is which IEM would give me a portable listening experience as close as possible to what I already have in those setups. The portable source is an iPod Mini; I have a portable amp in the Porta Corda III already, but of course, something that sounds good without an amp is always a plus in a portable situation.

The list of IEMs that look relevant so far is the following, in rough order of my estimate of how relevant they are:
  1. Shure E4
  2. Etymotic ER4P (with P-to-S adapter)
  3. Westone UM2
  4. Ultimate Ears super.fi 5Pro
I've read through search results, and from the impression I get, the E4 so far sounds the best for me; I'm interested in having a "fuller" sound than what the ER6 provides, with good mids. I see some people complain about Etymotics in general being too bright, which I interpret to be more or less the complaint I have about the ER6. The UE 5Pro sounds like it's a bass-heavy IEM at the expense of mids (in comparison to the Shure and Etymotics). I haven't been able to form much of an opinion on the Westone from search results so far.

Some people complain that the Shures have rolled-off highs; any comparisons with the Sennheiser HD 555 in this respect? (I know I find them rolled off a bit in the highs in comparison with the Beyer DT880, but I still like them for what they are.)

Any comments that might help me pick?

Thanks for your time and advice!

Oct 11, 2005 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 4
um2 or super fi
biggrin.gif

i think i kinda understand what you want..

i used to be using the shure e4cs and i realised if un-amped, they sound very thin.. you dont get the rich intimate mids.. or the deep bass extensions..

these phones were probably designed that way.. slightly lower bass emphasis to maintain clarity(you wouldnt want the bass of the thump in percussions to be fused with the hitting etc) + the tube protrusion could probably be an attempt to space out the sound a little..

and now that i've gotten a pair of e5cs.. i wont go back to single drivers :p its a world of difference in the sound. dual drivers tend to be a little more fluid.. fuller and rounder sound, as opposed to the clear, tighter crisp sounds.. very musical in its own way
biggrin.gif

using my e5cs with my musical fidelity amp i can say it sounds very much like my dt880s, if not a little better.. the highs are comfortable, and the mids come at you better :p

Oct 11, 2005 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 4
Honestly I don't think any of these really sound much like the 880's.

The E4's and Superfi's don't have the sparkly treble energy/presence of the 880s'.
The ER4P is closest in treble but not as detailed and lacks some of the oomph in bass.
The E4 can't compete with the 880 in terms of depth of bass.

Maybe the UM2 is the closest but that is a stretch.

Don't know about the 555's, never heard them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back