Which IEM
May 16, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinafl
yeah I did try it. I am just trying to get in more comments before I buy it.

Oh really? Heres why I dont think so.
Quote:

can anyone back up this information that iM716's are better than Ety 6i??

Ok. Now we put iM716 in the search and...

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=iM716
^
A SIXTEEN PAGER no less.

And that was just the first page of results.

Theres a ton of info out there on the iM716s and all the questions youve asked, thought to ask, or never DREAMED of asking have already been answered. Reading and learning will serve you far better than just blindly posting whatever jumps into your head. I promise.
icon10.gif

Quote:

ok heres the big question.. are the iM716's better than the Grado sr-60's?

Define "better". Is portabilty what makes something the best for you? Sound quality? Looks? What? The SR-60s are darn near opposites of the iM716s. Search for threads on both then decide which is better suited to your purposes. Thats the only way you ll ever get the "best" one FOR YOU.

May 16, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by stmpjmp
Oh really? Heres why I dont think so.

Ok. Now we put iM716 in the search and...

^
A SIXTEEN PAGER no less.

And that was just the first page of results.

Theres a ton of info out there on the iM716s and all the questions youve asked, thought to ask, or never DREAMED of asking have already been answered. Reading and learning will serve you far better than just blindly posting whatever jumps into your head. I promise.
icon10.gif

Define "better". Is portabilty what makes something the best for you? Sound quality? Looks? What? The SR-60s are darn near opposites of the iM716s. Search for threads on both then decide which is better suited to your purposes. Thats the only way you ll ever get the "best" one FOR YOU.

I was thinking the same thing.
As far as sr60 v im716, well, I can comment that I think the sr60 is much better than the er6i soundwise.
I thought you decided on IEMs anyway.
I think pretty much that you will get better bang for the buck with full sized headphones, except, obviously the portability. Or just get KSC75's and be happy
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
Many of those who try IEM's have no idea how deep they should go in and as a consequence put in reviews that are not justified (BION I've seen it here many many times
smily_headphones1.gif
- typically such as tinny, no bass, thinl usw. It usually is NOT the IEM, but the timidity of the wearer/reviewer - direct them into the earcanal upwards and forwards (there have been insertion guides posted here - pls do a search and read them before trying your IEM's the first time). Basically, shove those puppies in until the come out the other side of your head
smily_headphones1.gif
. Trust me, they are designed not to harm you unless forced in by a few blows of a hammer.

BTW I believe I stated personal ownership/experimentation and use of ER-6i. I moderated approbation of im716 simply because I do not YET on a pair of them. Simply because of their ETY heritage that I feel they are probably of good value (wary of heavier cabling and the in-line module) and have to be worth at least this current price and possibly an even greater value. Tomorrow I'll be ordering a pair of 716's to try for myself.

Looking forward to your opinions between these two.

Let the iM716s burn-in for a couple of weeks. They get better with age.

Have fun-

May 16, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

It got 3 stars?? Is this the best bang for my buck? Also when these IEM's are in use, is it like the band is playing right infront of you with crisp sound? Also these iM716's are better than the Grado sr-60 right?

Having not heard the iM716's, I can't say, but generally IEMS are pretty bad bang for the buck in general. I can almost guarantee you the SR60 is better, given that it's not only open, but had a 40mm driver, rather than that tiny IEM driver. It's got major advantages to it. Honestly, I like the $10-20 Koss KSC75 (a MIRACLE headphone, actually, at the price) better than my $100 (I paid less) IEMs. They just have a much, much smaller soundstage. It will almost definitely not sound like the band is playing in front of you with crisp sound, especially by comparison to the Grados, which have been touted for years as a wonderful value at their price. The main advantage to IEMs, IMO, is that they are sealed, and make you look more trendy. That's about it.

May 16, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
Having not heard the iM716's, I can't say, but generally IEMS are pretty bad bang for the buck in general. I can almost guarantee you the SR60 is better, given that it's not only open, but had a 40mm driver, rather than that tiny IEM driver. It's got major advantages to it. Honestly, I like the $10-20 Koss KSC75 (a MIRACLE headphone, actually, at the price) better than my $100 (I paid less) IEMs. They just have a much, much smaller soundstage. It will almost definitely not sound like the band is playing in front of you with crisp sound, especially by comparison to the Grados, which have been touted for years as a wonderful value at their price. The main advantage to IEMs, IMO, is that they are sealed, and make you look more trendy. That's about it.

Ive had the SR-80s and the sonic quality difference was huge between it and the iM716. Im sure the 60s would be nearly the same.
Im not sure the OP has any idea what he wants or needs. If IEMs were already decided on, Grados shouldnt have entered the picture. Two totally different sounds/applications/types/etc etc.
If sonic quality = # 1, typically it goes
Open > Closed > IEM of the same $$$
If portabilty = #1 the IEM > Closed or Open of same $$$
If isolation = #1 then IEM > Closed > Open

Op needs to do some reading then go in at least the same relative direction. These stabbing at anything he comes across posts arent helping him or us help him.

May 16, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...nce&n=11091801

is this price any good for a grado? Also, I mainly just want these headphones/IEM for walking around. I am just trying to find the best headphones that produce GREAT sound. That is why I am debating over IEM's or Grado. I am looking for headphones or anything that can give me a live performance.

I think that price is MSRP. You could probably do better will some work.
What do you mean "walking around"? Can they leak sound w/o that being a problem? (people hear your music, you hear the outside world too). Will you be wearing them for hours on end? What is your source, an Ipod type player?
Headphones come in many types and the "best" are the ones that fit the most important need you have for them. If they need to isolate you completely from the world, go IEM. If they can leak a little sound but still need to be portable, then there are other cans we'd suggest. If they can be open and leak sound in and out all over the place, there are cans for that. The better you narrow down your EXACT #1 need, the better we can direct you towards your "best" headphones.
If SQ is #1 (as youve said) then an open phone like the Grado will easily beat any IEM of its pricepoint. You ll lose all isolation though.

May 16, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #23 of 30
The phones will be connected to an ipod. Yes, the headphones can be leaked. I listen to rock, so I need good bass. I am about to order the SR-60's because you guys have said so many good things about it. Until now I have been listening to stock earbuds and Bose desktop speakers. This should blow me away. Thanks for the responses guys.

May 16, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

The phones will be connected to an ipod. Yes, the headphones can be leaked. I listen to rock, so I need good bass. I am about to order the SR-60's because you guys have said so many good things about it. Until now I have been listening to stock earbuds and Bose desktop speakers. This should blow me away. Thanks for the responses guys.

a couple random observations: since you mentioned Amazon, the forum sponsors will for the most part match Amazon's price, but give you much better info/service both before and after purchase. Amazon's IEM reviews are a barbell: some quite discerning listeners and some genuine idiots, and in the middle, nothing...

Also, some people just can't listen to IEMs no matter how hard they try, so make sure you can return em (for a refund, not a Salvation Army tax deduction)

May 16, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Anything suggested here would more than likely "blow you away" if your previous audio equipment is Bose and Ibuds. So no worries about that.
The SR-60s are fantastic for bass, they ARE fantastic for rock however. They can be a bit harsh to some and many of us dont listen to them for hours on end comfortably. They are FUN phones at their core but I dont find them hours on end listening comfy. Something to consider.

May 16, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by stmpjmp
Anything suggested here would more than likely "blow you away" if your previous audio equipment is Bose and Ibuds. So no worries about that.
The SR-60s are fantastic for bass, they ARE fantastic for rock however. They can be a bit harsh to some and many of us dont listen to them for hours on end comfortably. They are FUN phones at their core but I dont find them hours on end listening comfy. Something to consider.

Yeah I had concerns over the quality of comfort these phones have since it seems like the cushioning isnt high quality. But I need to be blown away so ill just get these and see how it goes. Thanks for all the responses guys.

May 16, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

... I can almost guarantee you the SR60 is better, given that it's not only open, but had a 40mm driver, rather than that tiny IEM driver. ....

Meyvn,

I firmly agree with you and stmpjmp, type of phones will depend on specific usage- very well outlined by stmpjmp, BTW.

To me, comparing an IEM to a full sized phone is as difficult as comparing a full sized phone to room speakers. All are different.

So be careful of direct comparisons, eg., a 40mm driver in headphones may be generous in comparison to IEMs, but by room speaker standards it would be tiny. It's not so much the size of the driver, but the size of the driver and the size of the space (volume) it will need to load. IEMs need to be perfectly sealed to get any bass, and do so by loading a very tiny volume. Sealed vs vented (open) loading then leads to a whole different topic.

But yes, if the query isn't at least limited to a single type of phone, it is beyond debate.

May 17, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

The main advantage to IEMs, IMO, is that they are sealed, and make you look more trendy. That's about it.

I know it's your opinion, but I can't agree with that... the big advantage is that they are sealed, look more trendy, etc... which I can't argue - but there's more out there to IEMs than just looks. For example, portability could be very important. If you're carrying around a lot of stuff all day, it's possible you simply don't have the space to properly carry full-sized cans around.

May 17, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #29 of 30
Well, I just ordered my Grado sr-60's from amazon. I am siked to see how my ears will react to them. I have heard nothing but good info. about the Grado sr-60. I was blown away by the bose triport. This should easily kill that by what I have heard which is making me anxious. Thanks again guys.

May 21, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

ok heres the big question.. are the iM716's better than the Grado sr-60's?

While that's a bit of a loaded question, I think it's fair to say that they are very different sounds, and if you're a devotee of one you won't like the other.

Personally, I despise the Grados. I would almost rather listen to the earbuds that came with the iPod than any Grados. If given a choice between any Grado model and Koss KSC-35's I would not skip a beat before grabbing the cheap-but-great earclips. I cannot for the life of me see what others hear in them, because music pouring through them makes me want to rip them off my head and stamp on them repeatedly. But comparing the iM716's to my Senn HD-580s, both driven by my 4G iPod and my Intel iMac with an original (old case, no LED) HeadRoom Total AirHead in between I can say that the Altety's lack the Senn's amazing midrange liquidity and (especially with HeadRoom HRTF engaged) QUAD-like spaciousness. They're also more bloomy in the midbass in portable (aka "Bass") mode. However, the Senn's lack the Altety's almost-live rendition of upper midrange detail. While overall I do prefer the 580s, I love both of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back