Which IEM should I get?
May 12, 2007 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

TheNew007

Banned
I've been using the Altec Lansing im716 for about 9 months now and although they provide excellent detail, I find its bass quite lacking. Does anybody know of any IEMs that 1)Provide excellent detail 2)More bass than im716 and 3)provide the same if not better isolation than im716? My price range is between $200 and $350 CAD. Feel free to add any suggestions.
Thanks

May 12, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 21
May 12, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 21
If you don't like the im716 you might want to look into shure IEM's or the triple.fi 5 pro

P.S.
are you going to sell your im716's? because I might be interested.

May 12, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNew007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using the Altec Lansing im716 for about 9 months now and although they provide excellent detail, I find its bass quite lacking. Does anybody know of any IEMs that 1)Provide excellent detail 2)More bass than im716 and 3)provide the same if not better isolation than im716? My price range is between $200 and $350 CAD. Feel free to add any suggestions.
Thanks

What source, amp, and tips are you currently using?

Looking through # 1 - 3, you're only missing #2 in the iM716 right? Have you tried different tips than the stock tips? An amp will get the most out of it.

May 12, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 21
Yes, if I decide to buy another IEM then I will surely sell the im716. However, since I haven't decided on what to buy yet I think we should hold off abit on that conversation.

BrokenWallet, my source is a Cowon iAudio x5 with no amp attached and the tip I use is the Shure medium sized soft flange. The reason why I didn't get an amp is because I want my system to be portable and it's a hassle jogging around with the amp rocking back and forth. However if someone has invented a nano-amp then I'd be happy to take a look.

May 12, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 21
You should get the Shure E500. Great bass and detail, great foam tips, largest soundstage in an IEM.

May 12, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 21
+1 for triple.fi 5 pro & shure e500

May 13, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #10 of 21
The e500 sounds great...but make sure you like the shure sound (emphasized mids/mid-bass)

May 13, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #11 of 21
i will say get tf10p, e500 or um2.

May 13, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNew007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, if I decide to buy another IEM then I will surely sell the im716.
The reason why I didn't get an amp is because I want my system to be portable and it's a hassle jogging around with the amp rocking back and forth. However if someone has invented a nano-amp then I'd be happy to take a look.

the 716 is actually a rather nice iem and is a very good value imo. playing with tips might help (perhaps try making a bi-flange?). as far as tiny amps go, the xin supermicro is really small and some say it's the finest portable out there.

May 13, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 716 is actually a rather nice iem and is a very good value imo. playing with tips might help (perhaps try making a bi-flange?). as far as tiny amps go, the xin supermicro is really small and some say it's the finest portable out there.

I dont think it will help. I mean new comers would want to at least have a full experience across the ENTIRE spectrum. If I had paid $90 for a 5.1 Logitech desktop speakers, I would expect not only good treble and mids, but ALSO bass. I have tried the 716 but it really needs an amp, or so people say. Without one when I tried it, it really isnt much of an improvement to say.. iBuds except you can hear a tiny bit more of the treble. IMO even the ksc75s are far better than these categ. of iems and just not worth the extra hard earned money - im716, er6i. It just sounds to me like a $5 improvement over iBuds.

If you want suggestions to the OP's needs, then I would recommend the crossroads X3, Atrio M5, SF5pro. IF ANYONE READ THE ORIGINAL POST E500 is OUT OF THE PRICE RANGE THAT HE SAID and are just way too expensive and there was one person who said the PK1s beat the E500 in some sections. You people cant just recommend them for FOTM. I must note these are recommendations that I have read about and not actually tried any of the suggestions. For starters, why not pick up a pair of Ep630 to see if you really like the Meatier end of IEMs. Just $15 into a $200 investment.

and guys, what the heck is a triple.fi 5 pro? Theres only triple.fi 10 and super.fi 5..........
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't like the im716 you might want to look into shure IEM's or the triple.fi 5 pro

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1 for triple.fi 5 pro & shure e500

I just hate this forum more and more everyday because people dont really recommend things anymore and just give a couple of words without using much reason at all. It really doesnt help anyone in my perspective.

May 13, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #15 of 21
The ER4P are a better version of the Altec 716, so you could be disappointed by their bass. If you have an amp, though, or a good equalizer, they will be very nice. Don't forget to use either the 716 or the ER4 with their black foam tips, that really make a difference to the sound.
On the other end, the Superfi 5 pro are said to lose in treble details against the Altec or the Etymotic.
If I were you, I'd spare money and wait for the q-JAYS or the Shure SE420, or buy the E500.
The q-JAYS, in particular, should have good bass, treble and instrument separation, without losing their neutrality.
Try to search around for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back