Which IEM or CIEM would fit my preferences
Jul 16, 2014 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

noobnorwegian

Head-Fier
Hi, I am currently using the Westone 4R, although I am quite pleased with them I am looking fore something that could please me even more. The highs are quite ok, recessed enough to avoid listning fatigue when listening to poorly produces heavy metal albums. I feel that the mids are a little too forward compared to the medium/low bass region. Lead guitar/guitar solos sound nice, but rythm guitar get sort of lost in the mix, since they seem a little recessed compared to the rest. I would also like the bass to go a little deeper (lower frequencies). Slightly more bass would also be nice (10-20%? If it is possible to give an estimate on sound) but the bass should still be detailed. I would like to hear the details in the rhythm guitars and drums.

I own the Denon AH-D5000 full size cans are my favorites, and a sound similar to these would be very nice. Although I do not believe it is possible to get so good layering of the different instruments in an IEM?
Before I owned Klipsch 4s, which is the worst sounding iems I owned, they where shrill and fatiguing. The Beyerdynamic DT101 were to dark and the bass not detailed enough. Monster MDT were the best of the dynamic, but slightly to bass heavy with the tips that gave a good sealing and could be slightly more detailed.

I am considering over-ear types of IEMs as costums or similar types as shure 535/Westone 4R/Earsonics SM64, they should give a good sound seal and have a removable cable. I have actually bought the Heir Audio 8a, but my feet are getting could if I should get a remold? Would the sound of the Heir 8a fit with what is described in the first section? I have a friend who brags about the v6 stage, but I am afraid the highs could be to hot and that the bass could be a little dull? I have read about the JH13/16, would they sound more like what I described rather than Heir 8a? Are there any universal fit I should consider? I like the combination of foam tips and universal. I have never tried customs before. Any comparison with the W4R would be appreciated.

I use an apple ipod touch as source, mostly 320 kbps mp3 and I listen only to different types of fast or symphonic metal.
I also live in Norway, so I am not shure how easy it is to audition all types of IEMs. I would look for both new and used items.

Magnus

Jul 16, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 2
Coming from what I know, the Heir 8a is warmer than the JH13. While I can't personally comment on the Heir 8a as I don't own them, the JH13 is certainly a great IEM with a neutral sound. The JH16 has a thicker texture in the bass.

As for a comparison, the JH13/JH16 should fit your needs as it covers what you mostly need, great bass texture and non-sibilant highs. I can't say much about the mids as the JH13 has a slightly more forward midrange as compared to the W4R (to my ears and memories at least).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back