which iem: Monster Turbine, klipsch S4i, Sennheiser IE7, Denon ??
Mar 2, 2010 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

el-jorge

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a replacement of my apple addiems. I mainly listen to trance and house, and music drom Snow Patrol, Killers, Editors stuff like that and sometimes al little bit of soundtracks.
I want to replace the addiems for several reasons, they don't fit very well. I use the medium caps, and I think they are just a little bit to big, but the small ones are too small. And the sound of them is also just not really fit for mainly dance music. I often have the idee I miss something but I don not know exactly what it is. And I think there is a lack of bass.
After reading a lot of topics here I made a list, price range is around EUR 125,- ($ 175). And I need some advise which ones to take:

Monster Turbine
Klipsch S4i
Sennheiser IE7
Denon (751 or 710)

I'm going to use them with my iPhone with no extra amplification. It is for daily travel riding my bike to work. I also want to use them with running and in the gym, and in an airplane.

Please some advise, which ones would be great for my music choice and ofor how I am going to use them?

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #2 of 21
Seems you are going to use them for dance music and want a bassy sound.

Well good news all of those are bassy, all of those don't need an amp and run off the iPhone fine, and well all of those are relatively expensive.
biggrin.gif
Except the S4i which is the most reasonably priced I think. All should fit in your price range more or less, though.

I have not yet heard the Denons or the IE7, only heard the IE8. Here's what I can say;

Turbines - more bass than the S4, very full-bodied and lush sound
S4 - sounds brighter with more clarity, lacks richness and timber

I would give the nod to the Turbines for SQ.

IE7 - have not heard these per se but from what I read they have less bass than the IE8 but has similar expansive soundstage and smooth laidback sound. The IE8 is not the best choice for dance because of this smooth laidback quality, even if it has enough bass to go. The IE7 has less bass and apparently is also a little smooth, so I don't think it's the best choice.

At the risk of sounding biased I say go for the Turbines.
But the S4 will do if you are on a budget.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 21
IE7 has clear rich midrange with punchy bass, warm, engaging and expensive soundstage(highely recommended).

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 21
One of the other things with the addiems was how they fit. I read a lot about comply, can you just buy these and put them om any iem, or are there al different kinds? And I'm from the Netherlands, where can I buy them.

The IE7 gives contradictional reactions, I'm not sure about those.
I read also that the klipsch has a great fit (so probably won't need comply's then?). And they have the cord control for the sound and phone.
The Turbine's look al little bit big, but these seem great for the music I like, is it possible to use these with the comply's?

Do you guys know some reliable webshops for iem's that ship to the Netherlands?

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 21
there are differrent sizes of compy tips, s4 would use t100 i think and ie7 uses t500,the ie7 comes suppliyed with sennheisers own version of the compy tips in medium and large

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 21
Well, I can only speak from personal experience.

I recently purchased the Hippo VB (Approx $80?) and I love them. You can adjust the bass, the lowest being a more of a 'dark, low bass', the medium (my preference) is a decent amount of bass without sacrificing treble and the highest complimenting the treble but reducing bass.

I do not believe in this 'burn-in' and I am talking from personal experience after listening to them for a few hours.

Unfortunately i havent tried them in a gym yet (I should be going tomorrow), so i do not know about the fit. However this is down to the tips and you can always purchase others.

I know this wasn't part of the original question, but I listen to Dance/Trance/Hip Hop/Grime/Dubstep and they suit my needs perfectly - EVEN Beethoven sounds good on the mid bass
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there are differrent sizes of compy tips, s4 would use t100 i think and ie7 uses t500,the ie7 comes suppliyed with sennheisers own version of the compy tips in medium and large

Quote:

Originally Posted by TB_X
Well, I can only speak from personal experience.

I recently purchased the Hippo VB (Approx $80?) and I love them. You can adjust the bass, the lowest being a more of a 'dark, low bass', the medium (my preference) is a decent amount of bass without sacrificing treble and the highest complimenting the treble but reducing bass.

I do not believe in this 'burn-in' and I am talking from personal experience after listening to them for a few hours.

Unfortunately i havent tried them in a gym yet (I should be going tomorrow), so i do not know about the fit. However this is down to the tips and you can always purchase others.

I know this wasn't part of the original question, but I listen to Dance/Trance/Hip Hop/Grime/Dubstep and they suit my needs perfectly - EVEN Beethoven sounds good on the mid bass

I already found some stuff on comply's website. It also appears they ship to the Netherlands.

I hope to get some more input from dance freaks. TB-X thanks for the input. Im going to look into those. But I think I will narrow it down to the list I gave. I can not find much on the Denon's. The two biggest contenders are the Klipsch and the Monster.

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 21
It is between the Turbine's and the Klipsch. I can't make a choice. Has someone some extra input. I also looked into the pro copper turbine's, but they seem a little over budget.

I will have to find a shop where I can order them, and that ships to the Netherlands.

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #11 of 21
On the box of the IE7 it says " a lifelike sound
and that's pretty much what you get

that's not an easy thing to achieve and explains why other head-fiers like the listenabillity.
I listen to lots of techno-electronic stuff and the 7's do that very well , esp as everything is well controlled.

A very good all-rounder

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #12 of 21
I'd also mention that whilst they do filter out lots of ambient noise, they don't filter out everything. Therefore I can still be aware (somewhat) of my surroundings if need be. Important when riding a bike.

They also have an excellent lead with near zero microphonics, something my denons sadly lacked

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 21
I have only had experience with the S4 and IE7. I returned the S4 in less than a week.
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #14 of 21
Didn't had real time to look further into this.

I want to add a contender the Ultimate Ears Superfi 5. How does that one do it with trance music? The Klipsch is falling of my shortlist which is now:
Sennheiser IE7
Monster Turbine
Ultimate Ears Superfi 5.vi

And I also read some great stuff about the RE0, but I don't want to make my list longer...

And I'm still looking for a good and reliable shop that ships to the netherlands, please some input on this?

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #15 of 21
My UE SF5Pro soundsignature is perfect for these genres and they are more detailed than ADDIEM with great bass response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back