Which IEM is this and why is it wonky with some DAC/amps?
Nov 21, 2021 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

johncarm

100+ Head-Fier
IMG-0361.jpg

I'd like some help identifying this Beyerdynamic IEM. I bought it maybe four years agofor $100 and love it.. I just forgot the model number. It has an integrated microphone, and here you can see it with my UGREEN lightning port adapter for use on my iPhone.
There's one thing I don't love, however. With certain devices the sound is tinny and quiet. Like with my Pixel 3 phone, they are almost useless. Also with a Red Dragonfly they sound terrible. With the UGREEN they sound fine (other than the quality offered by the adapter is low). With my iPod they sound fine.

So first thing I'd like to know is whether they have some wonky impedance or what might make them sound bad with only certain devices.

Another thing that's not ideal... they are quite large and I have small ear canals.

So what I'm looking for now is a similar-sounding IEM (love the sweet and musical midrange) that would work with my Red Dragonfly. My budget is around $200. And they ideally will have small ear tips.

I already know I don't like the bottom model of Shure due to shrill treble (which also has an uncomfortably large ear tip). I just bought some Sennhesier IE 40 Pros to try... they aren't burned in yet, but the initial impression is very impressive presentation overall but with way too much sibilance. They are comfy in my ear canals. I'm not sure how "musical" the Senns are. Will have to give them some more time to burn in.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 22, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 4

I'd like some help identifying this Beyerdynamic IEM. I bought it maybe four years agofor $100 and love it.. I just forgot the model number. It has an integrated microphone...

Looks like the iDX200 or the same series. 200 comes with a remote, not just a mic.

...and here you can see it with my UGREEN lightning port adapter for use on my iPhone.
There's one thing I don't love, however. With certain devices the sound is tinny...

Some devices have high output impedance and will sound bad with some lower impedance loads, while the ones they kinda sound good with only sound good out of sheer luck ie maybe they boost the bass on something that needs it without resulting in the bass sounding like a molasses tidal wave (as opposed to making things sound like tin cans...or a tidal wave of molasses).

...and quiet.

Assuming it's the iDX200 or same series with the same driver, 106dB/1mW is low for an IEM. I had a VSonic as a beater and I've had to crank it up a bit (but then it starts stabbing my ears). My beater is now a KZ, and it stabs my ears even before I crank it up, and at that point it's like all treble and some bass (but hey, $12).

By contrast my Aurisonics ASG-1.3 has a 120dB/1mW sensitivity (at 1000hz, then the response is weaker above that); my Westone2 has 115dB/1mW; and Hidizs MS2 has 112dB/1mW...

Like with my Pixel 3 phone, they are almost useless.

It's not exactly a good music player if you're directly driving it with the 3.5mm output, at least compared to something like the Samsungs with the Wolfson audio chips (or even some of the T-Mobiles with the Snapdragons).
https://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_3-review-1847p3.php

Speaking of the T-Mobiles with Snapdragons, my S3 also sucked even with the 120dB/1mW Aurisonics. For one, the gain was totally skewed as it goes from "almost there" at two levels above nothing to "OHMYGODTURNITDOWNTURNITDOWN!!!" at the third level. Never had a problem with my Note4 and S9 though.

Also with a Red Dragonfly they sound terrible. With the UGREEN they sound fine (other than the quality offered by the adapter is low). With my iPod they sound fine.

Just how terrible were they with the Dragonfly?

Because it could be that that's the one running with zero distortion regarding impedance, but the response isn't all that great to begin with. In cases where it sounds fine there could be some kind of impedance mismatch that accidentally helps that, like by boosting the low end without touching the top end, so you don't need to crank it up to the point where the top end is grating.

So first thing I'd like to know is whether they have some wonky impedance or what might make them sound bad with only certain devices.

35ohms might not usually be too low but that's for decent DAPs and smartphones, and not much for most amps.

However if the response isn't all that great then there's the possibility that the Dragonfly is just making it sound as it is, while even the iPod is mucking with it somehow.

I didn't like my 4G and 5G iPods direct out of the headphone output either. I just used those through the line out (not to mention they're iMods).

Another thing that's not ideal... they are quite large and I have small ear canals.

So what I'm looking for now is a similar-sounding IEM (love the sweet and musical midrange) that would work with my Red Dragonfly. My budget is around $200. And they ideally will have small ear tips.

What do they sound like when driven by the devices that you like the overall sound of?

I already know I don't like the bottom model of Shure due to shrill treble (which also has an uncomfortably large ear tip).

You can use third party tips with something like the SE420 or SE530, or whatever Aonic they have now that replaced them.

I just bought some Sennhesier IE 40 Pros to try... they aren't burned in yet, but the initial impression is very impressive presentation overall but with way too much sibilance. They are comfy in my ear canals. I'm not sure how "musical" the Senns are. Will have to give them some more time to burn in.

If these fit well enough I'd just use EQ on these. I run Neutralizer to fix my KZ ZSN's sound so they wouldn't stab my ears when I mostly need them to 1) have something to listen to say on the train and 2) not risk my Westone2 and ASG-1.3 on daily rough and tumble use.

Nov 22, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 4
I have a guess about the Beyerdynamics. They sound gorgeous out of my iPod and they sound very strange out the Red Dragonfly. There it sounds like the center channel has been cancelled out and you are just hearing the reverb. I have a guess. The Beyers are TRRS because they have an integrated microphone, while the Red Dragonfly is expecting TRS.

Nov 22, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 4
I have a guess about the Beyerdynamics. They sound gorgeous out of my iPod and they sound very strange out the Red Dragonfly. There it sounds like the center channel has been cancelled out and you are just hearing the reverb. I have a guess. The Beyers are TRRS because they have an integrated microphone, while the Red Dragonfly is expecting TRS.

If the sound is THAT bad then it's very likely a fit issue in the socket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back