Which IEM {IE8 VS. W3} would suit me better?
Aug 2, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best genres from my opinion that the ie8 handles the best are metal(it sounds so natural and superb especially metalica songs)and electronic and country and hiphop and....
biggrin.gif

Whilst imo, the IE8 is too laid back for metal. It just didn't seem right, it was alright but not brilliant. Electronic however is awesome with the IE8s
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the real difference between the two, was that the IE8 had a better soundstage and imaging and the W3 had a better Freq. response

Gbjerke I think the IE8 portrays a more realistic soundstage and imaging experience than the W3. However, the Images on the W3 within its own soundfield are more resolved.

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #18 of 25
some regard the IE8 as the mini version of the HD600. im not sure if this is pure exaggeration or there is some truth in it. but I must say that the IE8 gets the most praise when it comes to sound stage which is what you are looking for right? I can also attest to its great soundstage being an IE8 owner myself.

I must say i was also tempted to buy the W3 in the past but i was also looking for that great soundstage everyone was saying about the IE8s and so far, i dont have fit issues with my IE8 and i have an increadible sounding IEM in my ears now! i just decided to get the westone UM3X which i believe is another beast but having the opposite sound signature of the IE8.

Aug 4, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #19 of 25
Hi guys,sorry to be a bit out of topic,just a quick question,which iem is more forgiving for the source? between w3,um3x,ie8 and se530,about the source the lowest is 160kbps

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're acting like the IE 8 isn't good with those genres.

When I tried the IE8s, I found them really good with other types of music, I just preferred the W3s to them and thus bought them.

Aug 5, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whilst imo, the IE8 is too laid back for metal. It just didn't seem right, it was alright but not brilliant. Electronic however is awesome with the IE8s
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't say they are too laid back for metal they might not be the most forward can in the world but they are certainly not bad for it. Where I think the ie8 lacked was in speed. Comparing to my jh-13's the ie8's just didn't have the speed on the bottom end especially.

Aug 5, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #24 of 25
I think HONEYBOY nailed every post, so everything he said, X2.

I would say the IE8 is a little more forgiving and smoother, definitely has a wider stage with a more laid back presentation, but tips can change that. If you use the decay mod, or some variation (extending the tip), the mids are more forward and the stage is wider. And I think the IE8 is the smoothest IEM I have heard (well, maybe except universal fit customs).

Boomy bass: I didn't think the IE8 (or W3) was boomy until the C710 made me think, wow, these things sound kinda bloated and boomy. Not bad mind you, but depends on what you compare them to I guess.

I do think the IE8 works well with all genres as I listen to just about everything except jazz.

Back to tips and fit, they will be the make or break of either the W3 or IE8 for some people. There have been complaints of sibilance with the W3 depending on the tips. People I know use triple flanges, but the treble is cut and they feel the need for EQing. The IE8 can be problematic getting a good seal, none of the stock tips did it for me. You can see my IE8 tips in my sig.

The Denon C710 is great IMO, but with a much different sound sig (more deep bass and highs, much less warmth). But it is bordering on too bright for me cables down, but cables over the ears it is much better, but still has more treble than the IE8. Of course, comply tips will lower the treble or all these IEMs.

Aug 5, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #25 of 25
My very humble opinion, believe in your ear, not gear. Get in the retail with patience, close your eye, ignore the salesperson that probably shows you unsatisfying body language when you test each IEM for 30 mins.

I've tried the 530, TripleFi 10 Pro, W3 and IE8. Ended up I purchased the W3 and IE8. I will leave the impressions to the thousand of posts within head-fi. To me, W3 and IE8 are like both my kids, I love them both but they are just different, I just can't leave any of them aside, again, I love my kids!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back