Which IEM {IE8 VS. W3} would suit me better?
Jul 31, 2009 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Gbjerke

1000+ Head-Fier
First of all, i mostly listen to electronic music, which most of the time are good recordings. But there are other genres as well, mostly rock. So it's good if they make a bad recording better. And isolation isn't really as important as SQ and signature fit. I've read reviews, but still there's a tad doubt. I consider myself as pretty sensitive to very emphasized or exaggerated highs.

They will be used from a portable amp (the P3+) with an opamp kit that too me is excellent in quality, but a little bright.

Thanks

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But there are other genres as well, mostly rock. So it's good if they dont make a bad recording better. [ . . . ] I've read reviews, but still there's a tad doubt. I consider myself as pretty sensitive to very emphasized or exaggerated highs.

They will be used from a portable amp (the P3+) with an opamp kit that too me is excellent in qualoty, but a little bright.

IE 8 is somewhat unforgiving. Not sure about the W 3.

There are a good number of people that have problems with the W 3 being fatiguing or sibilant in the treble range, though apparently this problem can be ameliorated with judicious adjustment of the triple-flange tip. I found my ATH-ES7 to be extremely shrill and bright to the point of fatigue, but I was able to listen to the IE 8 for twelve hours straight with no problem. The high end of the IE 8 is slightly accentuated but not to the point of being sibilant or shrill, and the sheer vastness of the soundstage make for a very relaxing, non-fatiguing listen.

Aug 1, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by duanepo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IE8!

I would agree with the IE8 if you like boomy bass heavy electronic music. For any other, go with the W3s. The sound great with everything, rock, jazz, classical. You name it and they have really good bass, just not as bottom heavy as the IE8s.

Aug 1, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound great with everything, rock, jazz, classical.

You're acting like the IE 8 isn't good with those genres.

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 25
Gbjerke the IE8 does not have boomy bass and are very good at Electronic music. I also found them to be more engaging with rock music that the W3 due to the slightly more forward midrange. I think for your requirements IE8 would be the better bet especially if Isolation isn't as important as SQ.

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 25
Great. Thanks for being to the point and answering my actual question. And btw, i just had some problems on my last headphone makin this sound when touching my zipper, if the right word for that is microphonics? How low are they on the IE8? I'll be ordering tomorrow morning. Finally i won't have to go around looking like my headphones were from the 60s and wear my glasses above them as the SQ gets better by doing that haha. Still no one has noticed^^

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great. Thanks for being to the point and answering my actual question. And btw, i just had some problems on my last headphone makin this sound when touching my zipper, if the right word for that is microphonics? How low are they on the IE8? I'll be ordering tomorrow morning. Finally i won't have to go around looking like my headphones were from the 60s and wear my glasses above them as the SQ gets better by doing that haha. Still no one has noticed^^

The IE 8 has no microphonics when worn as Sennheiser intended (over-the-ear). I mean none. They have imperceptible microphonics about equivalent to a full-size, open headphone.

Aug 1, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE 8 has no microphonics when worn as Sennheiser intended (over-the-ear). I mean none. They have imperceptible microphonics about equivalent to a full-size, open headphone.

Agreed! the cable is one of the best I've seen on an IEM.

Aug 1, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #11 of 25
I have heard both and from your description of what you're after I would vote for the IE8s. This is because of the rather numberous complaints about the treble on the W3s which you say you are sensitive to. The only con about the IE8s for me was the lack of isolation, if that isn't too much of a detraction I'd say go for them.

Aug 1, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #12 of 25
here also i vote for the ie8.i listen all the time to electronic and trance and they sound superb with the ie8.no microphonics at all when walking or playing with the cable,the cable is fantastic and feels very solid and will stay for long time.The best genres from my opinion that the ie8 handles the best are metal(it sounds so natural and superb especially metalica songs)and electronic and country and hiphop and....
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jazz, classical.

Isn't one of the most important factors of jazz classical and rock also, as there are very many different sounds being played, that there is a great soundstage and great imaging?

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The W3 probably has a tad more accurate instrument placement and imaging, just smaller.

I thought the real difference between the two, was that the IE8 had a better soundstage and imaging and the W3 had a better Freq. response

Users who are viewing this thread

Back