Which IEM for less than $25, $50, $100?
Apr 9, 2009 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

oregon

100+ Head-Fier
So, if I were to spend those amounts on a set of iems, which would you choose? I think for me the fit, comfort and noise isolation are more important than the sound quality (as long as it's decent). I want to get a new set soon but am undecided on how much I want to spend.

FYI, I have jvc marshmallows, cx300, and Sony Altus. I do not like the fit I either iem. The jvc are too big and chafe the skin in my ear and the cx300 just do not stay I very well and have a weird feel. Sort of like a suction cup. I do like the Altus. The fit, comfort, isolation, and sq are all quite good and I like the portability.

A few days ago I tried a pair of skullcandy headphones for about a minute and liked the fit. They were whit mostly with a bit of pink an had silicon or plastic tips. Which might they be?

Thanks!

Apr 9, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #2 of 13
For $50 go with NE-7M and for $100 you could make the argument to still go with NE-7M. At the $25 point I'm not so sure... You might be able to import a pair of PL30 direct from China for that price range? If you get them from certain online stores like DealXtreme the shipping would be free.

There is also the rebandged UE Super.fi 3 now put out by Altec Lanseng for $40US off of Amazon the model is called UHP336.

Actually though you might want to say what your looking for in your IEM's, do you like over the top bass, clarity at the cost of bass, etc.

Apr 10, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 13
NE7Ms are a good choice.

Apr 10, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 13
I'm looking in the 25$ range to because that is my limit on headphones I will take out of the house and right now I'm looking at the Altec Lansing UHP306 on amazon. they are UE Metro Fi 2 which got decent reviews in their day. I hear they go on sale for 19.99 from time to time but if you use one of the amazon resellers I think it's about 26$ shipped if you are on a time limit. I've never used these before tho so maybe look around the forums and see if you like the reviews for yourself. O and don't forget to click the link at the top of Head-Fi when you're going to amazon.

Apr 10, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 13
The metro-fi 2 has nice mids and highs but is lacking in bass, it is also a fairly fast IEM. I liked it but wanted more bass so ended up buying the NE-7M. But if you can get it or the Altec Lansing model for $20 that would be a pretty good deal I think.

Apr 10, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 13
personally, i think the air cushions are comfortable. i never really had any issues with them or anything. theres not really any microphonics in the cable either which is a plus for me.

Apr 11, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #10 of 13
NE7M's are best for the 50 range

Apr 11, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for 50$ to 100$ msrp, i have not heard a better phone than the ne7m. after 100 msrp, the choices of better sounding phones are limitless but they are special for that price.

how does ne7m compare to er6i?

i keep being surprised by the quality of classical music it performs under 320kbps (yoyoma's violin is amazing!)

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #13 of 13
I listen to a wide variety of music classical and New Jazz being among them. I have listened to a good variety of violin and Cello music and find the NE-7M do a nice job with this type of music but I have not heard an er6i headphone set so can not give an actual comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back