Which IEM? $49 to $200
Jun 8, 2018 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gawain

New Head-Fier
Easy at $49 because wife won't complain, harder at $200 wife will complain. ; )
Middle of the road $99 might be the best.
Used for air travel, home and everywhere in-between.
Enjoy jazz, rock, blues, American Indie, and some electric.
Which do you prefer?
Others?
Thanks!!!!!!!!

Etymotic HF5 $100
1 More Tripple Driver $95
Sennheiser Momentum in-ear $95
Vsonic GR07 $135
MEE Audio EP-P1-ZN-MEE $200
HiFiMan RC-400 $49
Klipsch Reference X6i $174

I'm currently listening to Klipsch R6 which I rate as best for audiobooks, not bad for music but nothing special,
and Monster Miles Davis Tribute which are fantastic and expensive and rare and I don't want to take these traveling.

I also have Vmoda XS which were disappointing until I used an external FiiO amp then WOW!! and the classic Sony MDR-V6 which are quite good and inexpensive but big.

Any clear winners in my list?
Any clear winners less than $200 that I missed?
Again, I thank-you in advance for your help.

By the way, the best IEM I've ever listened to was the Panasonic RP-HJE900, discontinued. Wiring broke and I'm unable to get it fixed, so relegated to the junk drawer. This is why I'm worried about my Monster Miles Davis.. these IEM seem very fragile.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #2 of 5
Based on your preference of music, I would recommend the ER3SR (very neutral) or ER3XR (neutral with bass boost). Your music has a lot of emphasis on vocals (perhaps even more female vocals) and the ER3s will bring them out to life.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 5
Colors, you hit the nail on the head, yes, vocals and female vocals... right now I'm listening to Jennifer Nettles... *grinning*.
Thanks, I'll check out the review on ER3SR.

What about the iBasso IT01?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #4 of 5
Colors, you hit the nail on the head, yes, vocals and female vocals... right now I'm listening to Jennifer Nettles... *grinning*.
Thanks, I'll check out the review on ER3SR.

What about the iBasso IT01?

I have the iBasso IT01 myself and while I love it, I also have the ER4XR (which is basically the Made in USA version of the ER3) and I personally think the iBasso is better for mainstream music (pop, EDM, rock) while the ER4 is better for indie, jazz, blues and electric because it's so wonderfully detailed, has excellent treble extension and quantity and amazingly bone chilling vocals (especially female).

Don't forget to look into the ER3XR (I edited my original post).

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #5 of 5
I have the iBasso IT01 myself and while I love it, I also have the ER4XR (which is basically the Made in USA version of the ER3) and I personally think the iBasso is better for mainstream music (pop, EDM, rock) while the ER4 is better for indie, jazz, blues and electric because it's so wonderfully detailed, has excellent treble extension and quantity and amazingly bone chilling vocals (especially female).

Don't forget to look into the ER3XR (I edited my original post).

I WILL, thanks!!!
Oh, yes, detachable cables.... so sad my Panasonic's broke right at the connection. Detachable cables are the only way to go...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back