Which iBasso amp for Westone 4 and iPod Classic?
Oct 23, 2011 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tnmike1

Headphoneus Supremus
Having read several of the threads on the many available iBasso amps I'm more confused than ever.  Just got Westone 4 IEMs to use with my iPod Classic and looking for an iBasso amp.  Don't use the DAC feature, so it would be one of the amp only models.

So what do y'all think would be the best for decent soundstage and overall sonic presence?  Listen only to classical and jazz, if that's a help

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 9
Are you sure you need an amp? I haven't heard the W4, but what don't you like about the sound from Ipod/W4?

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 9
The W4 doesn't "need" an amp... but the bass does seem to benefit from good amplification. I would recommend the iBasso P4, it arguably their best "amp only" model.

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Having read several of the threads on the many available iBasso amps I'm more confused than ever.  Just got Westone 4 IEMs to use with my iPod Classic and looking for an iBasso amp.  Don't use the DAC feature, so it would be one of the amp only models.

So what do y'all think would be the best for decent soundstage and overall sonic presence?  Listen only to classical and jazz, if that's a help

Seriously, you don't need a portable amp for the W4, especially if you are listening to classical and jazz. The W4 handles those genres perfectly out of iPod headphone jack on it's own. 

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
The W4 doesn't "need" an amp... but the bass does seem to benefit from good amplification. I would recommend the iBasso P4, it arguably their best "amp only" model.

The P4 will melt your brain, but I wont be buying another one until I have something along the lines of 600-ohm Beyers that really need that much juice.

Oct 27, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 9
taking some suggestions from here, tried the W4 directly out of iPod Classic and, yeah, couldn't tell that much difference amped vs unamped.  So maybe hold off on the whole amp thing.  Dunno

Nov 7, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #7 of 9
would the D12 be too much? i think my iphone's headphonejack is messed up or something cause anything coming out of it makes it sound like #&#! but sounds fine on my desktop.

Nov 7, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
would the D12 be too much? i think my iphone's headphonejack is messed up or something cause anything coming out of it makes it sound like #&#! but sounds fine on my desktop.

Too much ? You know the D12's amp has less output power than the iBasso amps that came after it - D4,P4,D6 and the balanced amps ?

Nov 7, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Too much ? You know the D12's amp has less output power than the iBasso amps that came after it - D4,P4,D6 and the balanced amps ?

no clue. im completely new to this amp thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back