which home headphone for me?
Jul 15, 2007 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

opiumden34

Head-Fier
Right now I have some Sennheiser HD 570, which I'm sure is universally agreed as being garbage. They are breaking, so it does not matter anyway.

I'll be using them for a mix of mmo gaming, rock, and various types of electronic music material. Except for rap.

I'd say my budget right now is $200, but...If you guys say for $300 I can get something wayyyy better, then I think i can swing that.

After searching for a bit, I'm thinking about AT a900, and Beyer dt770. The thing with the 770 is, I never know which versions are being discussed. The year, and the impedance. I also do not own an amp, and if I were to get one, I have no idea what to get. I'd rather not get one now, and save that for an upgrade down the line.

Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated!

Jul 15, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 18
I'm sorry, I forgot to list my current set-up
frown.gif

It will be with my x-fi sound card which goes to some klipsch 2.1 speakers. I can either have the headphones go from the card or from the jack on the speakers.
You mentioned the 770, are they the old kind or the 05? What exactly is the point in different ohm ratings? Do they sound differently?

Jul 15, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 18
Supposedly higher impedance cans sound better if given enough power. . . some even believe the 32ohm can sounds better when amplified.

Do not get more than 80ohms if you don't have an amp. Get the 32 or 80 ohm version, enjoy the sound, buy an amp later that can power a Darth Beyer, enjoy the sound, upgrade to Darth Beyer, enjoy the sound...

Jul 15, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 18
ok guys, I just went to local guitar center and got me some dt 770 pro 80's.
I'm sorry, but What? The vocalist sounds like he's singing to me from outside the window, or in another room. Are these known for recessed mids? I have them plugged into the back of my x-fi sound card. I realize they are not burned in, but man, I think i liked my supposedly inferior hd 570's better.

Jul 16, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by opiumden34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry, but What? The vocalist sounds like he's singing to me from outside the window, or in another room. Are these known for recessed mids? I have them plugged into the back of my x-fi sound card. I realize they are not burned in, but man, I think i liked my supposedly inferior hd 570's better.

This sounds like the 770/80's are/were underpowered. Despite their relatively low 80-Ohm inpedance, they require an amp in order to not sound nasal and distant.

Jul 16, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #9 of 18
i think the 770/pro 80's shine with electronic/house/trance/progressive/downtempo etc... and gaming. Not really music that relies on vocals.

Jul 16, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

You hear what I hear in the 770s. I started with the 570s and they sound tons better than the 770s.

If you can spend $300 or slightly less, the Denon D2000s are what you're looking for. Great sound across the board with mids you can stand to listen to, great bass, and mellow highs. If you can catch a pair used in the FS forum, the Senn HD650s would be a bit cheaper and sound more like your 570s but better. I like the D2000s better than the 650s but lots of people swear by the 650s.

Jul 16, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Well, I already purchased the beyers. I was looking for closed, and I believe the Senn 650's are open. Perhaps I'll look into an amp. Any ideas for a $100 or less amp?

Sell them.
icon10.gif
Enough people like the 770s that you won't have a problem selling them, and then buy some you like better. That's what Head-Fi is all about. Doesn't have to be now, just keep it in mind for later once you have the 50 posts required for selling in the For Sale forums.

Welcome and sorry about your wallet.
cool.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #13 of 18
It's just that they do sound...I'm not familiar with audiophile terminology. Tinny, distant, even the guitar in metal seems smeared and messy. The source file is flac, so it's not a compression issue. Maybe I need to complete the burn-in? Maybe I should look into an amp before selling them?
As for the bass that I've read about, I can say it's there, and adequate. Not all that impressive. The creative/sennheiser IEM canalphones that I use sound way better than this, but perhaps that is comparing apples to oranges.

Jul 16, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #14 of 18
The DT700s pretty much define recessed mids. I think they sound like the vocals are coming from the bottom of a coffee can. No amount of burn-in will cure that but just the right amp might help. I gave up on them quick and moved on but maybe someone else can tell you what kind of amp might help.

The DT770 bass is all about quantity, not quality, the mids are recessed, and the highs are shrill and brittle. Not sure what amp can fix all that. I know tube amps let you choose tubes to get the sound you want, but you'll spend more than $100 on the amp and just the right tubes.

I came to the conclusion that headphones are the easiest part of a rig to change. Once you like the headphone sound, then you get other parts to make it sound even better or you like what you hear and stop there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back