Which high quality full-size headphones have the most BASS!!!
Mar 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #31 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and I thought people who are losing their hearing lose the high frequencies first, so I might need a very bright phone when I'm old, gray and half deaf. I'll be buying the really audiophile stuff when I'm 80.
regular_smile .gif

The exact opposite really. You won't care how the high end is reproduced if you can't hear it
biggrin.gif

I speak from a little personal experience and a lot of my wife's experience

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #32 of 106
Thanks guys,

Right then, out of the following which has the largest sound stage becuase that is also very important for me, now on the bass front I'm not looking for 'booming' bass, I like tight bass but I like it quite prominent. My music tastes are very varied, but atm I'm heavily into music that is a fusion of lounge/house/jazz/funk.

DT770 Pro
Denon AH-D2000 <--- leaning towards these atm.
HD650

I've been eyeing up the Denon AH-D5000 as well
tongue.gif
, dam they look sweet and from the reviews sound just perfect, need to hear what these sound like compared to the D2000's though.

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #34 of 106
I would say if you're looking for bass primarily, the 650's are OK (I've used them for the past year) - well defined and decent in size but not as extensive as with other 'phones.

I have the DT770's also and bass on them is relatively good but they honestly can't compete with the 650's as a whole, especially in the midrange.

Soundstage on the 650's is fine (not great with my current amp) and presumably better than the D2000/5000/7000 (open vs. closed phones). I can't comment on the bass on the D2000, but reviews indicate it's excellent (I'm actually considering buying D7000's after I hear them at CanJam)
Ideally someone who has heard both could comment...

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #35 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT770 Pro 80 ohm bass coming out of the new pair I have right now is as weak or weaker than the HD650. Not a basshead can.

Either my DT770 or my ears are defective, or people here think that the K701 has the correct amount of bass. The lack of bass on the DT770 Pro 80 ohm is astounding me right now. The Denon D7000 had MUCH more bass.

edited to add: the bass that is there isn't that great. "Spread-out" is what I would call it, with no impact.

This is deeply strange. I wonder if maybe your DT770 is a lemon? People falsely accuse the DT770s of various flaws, but weak bass is certainly never one of them! Also, I have A/Bed DT770 and D5000 and found no difference in their bass performance (quality or quantity), so it seems unlikely that D7000 would be much stronger.

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #36 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by lowrider007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys,

Right then, out of the following which has the largest sound stage becuase that is also very important for me, now on the bass front I'm not looking for 'booming' bass, I like tight bass but I like it quite prominent. My music tastes are very varied, but atm I'm heavily into music that is a fusion of lounge/house/jazz/funk.

DT770 Pro
Denon AH-D2000 <--- leaning towards these atm.
HD650

I've been eyeing up the Denon AH-D5000 as well
tongue.gif
, dam they look sweet and from the reviews sound just perfect, need to hear what these sound like compared to the D2000's though.

On the whole, I heard very little difference between DT770 and D5000 (no direct experience with D2000.) Both have bass that is prominent but very tight, detailed, and not at all boomy. Both have a great soundstage. The only real difference is that the D5000s do not isolate (and are a tad more comfy.)

I have not heard HD650s, but I am hard put to imagine how they could be enough better to justify such a huge price difference. After all, DT770s leave very little room for improvement!

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #37 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT770 Pro/80s not only have very strong bass, but extremely high quality as well. The overall sound is excellent in every possible way. Highly recommended.

Yeah there isn't anything extremely high quality about the DT770. Same with the guy that said the DT880 has great bass. Beyers are overpriced headphones for people who think they are audiophiles.

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #38 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The exact opposite really. You won't care how the high end is reproduced if you can't hear it
biggrin.gif

I speak from a little personal experience and a lot of my wife's experience

Good point scompton, once the high frequencies are gone they're gone.
frown.gif

I was talking about having lost some hearing, I can see how boosted highs would compensate for some of the loss. Am I wrong in thinking this? I know my grandma's hearing aid is very bright and loud, and I never heard of anyone getting hearing aids with lots of bass.

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #40 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Easy. Years in the orchestra and listening to tons of live music (particularly unamplified acoustic music.)
No headphones with less bass than DT770 pro/80s can be considered natural, because those reproduce solo acoustic bass flawlessly.

Oh I see. Was just curious. Sorry if I came off as rude. Ive never seen a live orchestra perform before, though I would like to someday.

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #41 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quitoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah there isn't anything extremely high quality about the DT770. Same with the guy that said the DT880 has great bass. Beyers are overpriced headphones for people who think they are audiophiles.

I am not sure whether you simply haven't heard any Beyers (and therefore have no clue what you are talking about) or are just a snob about your own stuff.

(Note: Beyers are at the extreme opposite end of the spectrum from "overpriced". They offer some of the very best performance/price ratios on the market. They are also simply outstanding phones regardless of price!)

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #42 of 106
Quote:

Haha, obviously you've never heard a decent can before.

I have owned two pairs of very highly rated phones that were more than 3X and 4X the price of the DT770s, respectively. Neither were anywhere near as good. Obviously, you do not recognize/appreciate great sound when you hear it.

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #43 of 106
Among the Ultrasones, you might also consider the HFI-580. It's billed as especially geared toward bassists and drummers, and I can vouch it has strong and extended bass. Some prefer it over the more expensive Ultrasone HFI series, but I've only heard the 580

Mar 30, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #44 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point scompton, once the high frequencies are gone they're gone.
frown.gif

I was talking about having lost some hearing, I can see how boosted highs would compensate for some of the loss. Am I wrong in thinking this? I know my grandma's hearing aid is very bright and loud, and I never heard of anyone getting hearing aids with lots of bass.

Actually the new digital hearing aid can be set to amplify the sounds a particular person can hear. The amplifiers on our telephones amp only the lower half of normal hearing range, which is still a wider range than my wife can hear.

Mar 30, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #45 of 106
Quote:

Beyers are overpriced headphones for people who think they are audiophiles.

Go wash your mouth out with soap!

Blasphemy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back