Which high end headphones requires lots of power to drive?
Oct 20, 2018 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AudioDwebe

Headphoneus Supremus
And which numbers of the specs would tell me that?

I thought it was just the ohms. Higher the ohm, more difficult to drive.

But my AKG K501 has low ohms rating but requires lots of power to drive properly

Is it also the sensitivity?

Thanks

Oct 20, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 5
And which numbers of the specs would tell me that?

I thought it was just the ohms. Higher the ohm, more difficult to drive.

But my AKG K501 has low ohms rating but requires lots of power to drive properly

Is it also the sensitivity?

Thanks
In the end it is sensitivity. It's how much power required for certain level of sound pressure the driver is able to output. The headphone ohms value is related to how much power the amp is able to deliver to the headphone, which is spec'd.

Sennheiser HD6XX is not difficult to drive, but is 300 ohms nominal. Hifiman planar like HE-6 is only 50 ohms, but way difficult to drive.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 5
Thank you.

Any idea why some manufactures list sensitivity and others spl? I'm guessing these two are related, like a low spl headphone is another way of stating low sensitivity?

Oct 21, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 5
Thank you.

Any idea why some manufactures list sensitivity and others spl? I'm guessing these two are related, like a low spl headphone is another way of stating low sensitivity?
They mean the same thing, just different way of expressing. Precisely, spl means sound pressure level. It's basically loudness. Sensitivity is precisely spl/power or voltage in or in units of dB/V or dB/W. dB is the unit of sound pressure level and the V or W is Voltage or Watts (they will express it with either one).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back