Which high-end headphones for low volume listening ?
Nov 7, 2007 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Spiug31

100+ Head-Fier
[size=x-small]Which high end headphones for low volume listening ?[/size]

I have my mini-dac as source (via usb) and am now looking for the right headphones and therefor amp to go with it.

I'd like to listen to music (rock, pop, electronica/trance, classical orchestral works, baroque, folk etc.) at low volumes and I'd prefer to save for one big buy ($1500-3000) that will leave me with a system I don't "need" to further upgrade.

What are your recommendations for high-end cans (or other) that are excellent for low volume listening ?

p.s.
I am thinking some level of ambient noise reduction could help.
I'm not concerned about others overhearing the music.
I'm unable to travel or generally interact so attending the meets hasn't been an option.
This is a long term plan - my wallet fills very slowly
rolleyes.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 14
Without a doubt GS1000. Designed for low level listening, and it sounds sublime used like that. It sounds so damn good at low volume that I actually went from being a consistently ear-splitting volume listener to a consistently low volume listener because of them.

As long as you choose the right amp for them, you will never need (or want) to upgrade again.

Nov 7, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 14
One of the few headphone questions that has an easy answer--GS1000.

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 14
Yup, Grados are loud enough just at the first notch on the volume knob ...unreal !

Nov 7, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #11 of 14
GS1000 are undoubtedly one of the best headphones for low-level listening, if not the best - however, they are about as open as it gets so there won't be much ambient noise reduction.

For your musical preferences I'd say they are the ideal headphone. They deal with all those genres effortlessly, especially classic music. Classical music turned into my favourite genre when I upgraded to GS1000. I alyways loved classical, but not to the extent I do now. The vast soundstage GS1000 has just takes classical to a whole different level and the preciseness and depth in the headphones is almost unbelievable with classical.

Trance (electronica in general) also works great with the headphones because of the well extended lower end. Impressive bass and bass impact without being boomy or uncontrolled and with the crisp highs, it's just great.

Audio-Omega: There is really no telling which amplifier is the best. The headphone hasn't been around very long yet and due to the price it's aimed at a fairly small crowd.

I'm using the Meier Opera and it's amazing with the headphones. Other's have liked the Grace M902 and different kinds of tube amplifiers. It's up to you to find the best synergy because these headphones are really hard to please.

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #13 of 14
i haven't heard the gs-1000s, but electrostatics do a nice job at low levels. because of the nature of the phones, they tend to maintain the same characteristics regardless of volume. and you get that great electrostatic clarity . . .

Nov 7, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiug31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll look into getting a grado to hear.

How do the electrostats compare for low level listening ?

Fairly well, but I feel that to get any bass response out of them, you have to turn them up a bit louder than you would the Grados. The bass in stats is extremely well defined, but it's much softer than dynamic cans, so you have to compensate a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back