Which headset for gaming, music and some movies?
Nov 27, 2013 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hicks12

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I bow down to your superior knowledge and experiences regarding audio devices so I was wondering if some of you kind souls could spare a moment and drop in some recommendations for me.

Currently I have an AT AD700 which have been great but I am feeling the need for change and also I would like a closed back headset since external noise is becoming a slight annoyance :p. My main use is for gaming so a wide soundstage is preferable it needs to be better than the AD700s as they have been brilliant (want to upgrade!) and next area is music where I listen to mainly Rock and soft rock (strong vocals) and finally some movies but this isnt really a high priority as I have a surround sound setup for movies :).

Budget would be ideally £100 but I can work a budget up to £200 if you can recommend it, if its "better" than the AD700s(i know audio is highly subjective!) :).

Any help is appreciated!
Thankyou

edit: Would the V-Moda Crossfade headset be a good choice? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003BYRGKY/ref=xs_gb_ld_tck_A1KDB72TF6K0YS
£60 at the moment, I have a feeling this is miles off the quality of the Ad700, thinking aloud here :D

Nov 28, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #2 of 6
You ain't gonna find anything better for competitive gaming than the ad700. If you want to improve your gaming experience I'd suggest a sound card for virtual surround. The LP for 60 is of course cheap.

What about a closed audio technica like the a900x?

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 6
You won't get a soundstage bigger than AD700s on a closed back headphone

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 6
  You won't get a soundstage bigger than AD700s on a closed back headphone

I agree,I think that it will be close to impossible to match the soundstage of the AD700s with a closed back headphone. I have just bought the AKG K550s. They do have a very good soundstage indeed for a closed back headphone but not as good as my AD700s. The K550s do have much more power in the bass though. The soundstage of the K550 is not quite as open and transparent sounding. I am overall, most impressed with the K550s for music though.

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the replies guys, maybe I should rethink what I want as the soundstage is great on the AD700s but they do feel just too analytical and I think that is to do with the lack of bass with them. So would it be a tall order for a headphone with a wide sound stage (near the ad700s) but with a much more enjoyable sound for gaming for immersion. For the main games I play is things like Battlefield and a lot of RPGs.

Closed back doesnt have to be the definitive now but is prefered, I am moving house in 2 weeks where I am able to have my gaming area set far away from noise so this requirement is no longer pressing. 

I shall keep the hunting but as always, appreciate any input into my purchase :).

Thanks

Dec 1, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 6
Guess you know about MLE's gaming thread..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back