Which headphones
Jul 8, 2001 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Hebda

New Head-Fier
I have recently bought the Kenwood DMC-M7R mini disc and want some better headphones than supplied, my choices are out of the Sony MDREX70LP or the Sony MDR-E888LP. I want the best one for Bass and the one that would suit my mini disc the best?
Thanks

Jul 8, 2001 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 12
EX70s have always been heralded as good earbuds for bass - some find the bass excessive.

The 888s (which I have) - if you want bass, go somewhere else. These have decent extension for buds, but the bass is VERY recessed.......to most ppl. I like em, tho....

Jul 8, 2001 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 12
the ex70 has a lot of bass, and it blocks a lot of outside noise which makes it good for portable use. You'd probably prefer it to the e888.

Jul 8, 2001 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 12
hebda: I have the MDR-EX70LP, too, and get no bass with it. Whether these buds are good or not depends very much of whether they fit in your ears properly. And you could also try the Sennheiser MX500, which have a fairly decent bass for earbuds.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 8, 2001 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 12
The EX70LP has strong bass, but the question is do you want quality bass; cause the EX70 is pure muddy. Now you can mod them to cut down on the boomy bass, but if I was you, the best buds to get are the Etymotic ER4P they will set you back 250, but the sound they produce is clean, and it has some good accurate well controlled bass. If you can't afford them then get the Sony MDR-E888LP they are very good buds for the price.

Jul 9, 2001 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

EX70 is pure muddy

Now, I wouldn't exactly say that... I would describe their bass as strong and unmusical, but not 'pure muddy', but yes it is a little boomy if you do not mod them.

Once you mod them, they are better though you do lose a lot of bass strength. 888s and MX500s probably will not give you enough bass.

Jul 9, 2001 at 12:59 AM Post #9 of 12
Hebda,

I tried the 70s and the 888s for a week. I could not get a good fit with the 70s, so the sound I experienced was not as a lot of people have described. Since I did not get a good seal, music sounded distant, bass was tinny and non-existent. I was not about to shove the 70s further into the ol' ear canal.

I fell in love with the 888s, great sound nice bass and good controlled highs. There are a couple of mods that were posted on Headwize to tweak the sound. One involved taking the caps off a set of Sony Groove buds (forgot the model number, contact Vertigo-1 for details or search Headwize once it's up and running again) and replacing the caps on the 888. By turning the Groove caps a certain direction the bass response was improved, to some greatly. Cost no option $50 - $80, get the 888s.

A low cost alternative are the Sennheiser MX500s, for around $15- $25. Not as detailed as the 888 and the bass not as clear, but nice sound for the price.

Regards - reynman

Jul 9, 2001 at 3:52 AM Post #10 of 12
I also have the MDR-ED268's, and sure, the bass is super-strong and super-deep - but the highs are a bit f'+’&#d-up and recessed. And my EX70's sound a bit screechy in the highs. And my E888LP's may not satisfy bass freaks.
tongue.gif

Jul 9, 2001 at 11:40 AM Post #12 of 12
I think the best thing for me to do is to try both ear buds but trying the 888's is the only problem as i will have to import them. How good is the bass on the 888's with the cover things over them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back