which headphones unamped for listening to jazz and classical
Aug 31, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #16 of 31
now, I must say, while the HD600 and AKG K-501 both smoke the 890... i think it sounds slightly better than the ksc-35's.

this is kinda wierd....a thread that mentions all the headphones i currently own.

Aug 31, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Blighty
With A&M gone I think we will have to bestow the title of Royal Defender of the HD600 to you now
biggrin.gif

I don't want it!
wink.gif
Especially now that I'm spending much more time listening to my K1000
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 1, 2002 at 12:23 AM Post #18 of 31
I'll go out on a limb and suggest getting the akg k501's if their available for a good price. I think your receiver should drive these pretty well and they will sound plenty sweet with both genres.

Sep 1, 2002 at 5:23 AM Post #19 of 31
perhaps, but i thought the akg's would be too hard to drive. same with the higher end sennheisers. if i could power them probably i would probably get one of them.

i checked the manual it dosent have the headphone jack power, oh well. i will assume the headphone jack is not too good, its only a 55w per channel amp from memory.

i still have the beyers on my list, as well as the hp890's, but arent the beyers closed, overall i thought closed headphones did not sound as good? also which of the beyers would you recommend without an amp? snifkin recommended the 531, what others should i look at? i would consider paying the extra money for the 931's if it is worth it.

Sep 1, 2002 at 6:17 AM Post #21 of 31
Generally closed headphones don't have the soundstage that open headphones have, and good closed headphones are less common than good open headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't heard the DT931s yet, but they're on my list (have to hear them if I want to be able to recommend them). If you're willing to fork out the extra cash, I'd say they're well worth it for jazz & classical, but if they're like the DT831s they may be a little bright for harsher genres (harsh rock etc) and they will need amplification to sound their best.

Out of the Beyer range for use WITHOUT amplification, I recommend the DT250-80 and DT531, the rest really do need amplification to sound their best.

Since getting my DT531s, my HP890s have just been gathering dust.. they're a great value for money headhpone if you're limited to around $100, but that's about it IMHO.

Sep 1, 2002 at 7:30 AM Post #22 of 31
Hmmm. Interesting. I can't comment on the 531's, let alone the 250-80 yet (shop has no more - have to wait 2 weeks for a replacement... I have half a mind a get a refund and buy the HDJ-1000 first.)

But it's interesting to note the difference in opinion - I've pretty much agreed in principle with all of Hi-Fi Choice's reviews so far for the phones that I have, and they lambast the 531 fairly heavily. It only got 3 stars I think.

Check it out http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=482

Sep 1, 2002 at 8:27 AM Post #23 of 31
i hate contrasting opinions
smily_headphones1.gif

still leaning towards the hp890's though...

btw is headroom just confused between whether some of the beyers are closed or open? they list the dt931's as closed...

Sep 1, 2002 at 8:47 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Mega Mee
btw is headroom just confused between whether some of the beyers are closed or open? they list the dt931's as closed...

Where do you see that? Their web site says:

Quote:

Beyerdynamic DT 931
Beyerdynamic's top of the line open headphones.

Sep 1, 2002 at 8:55 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Mega Mee
i hate contrasting opinions
smily_headphones1.gif

still leaning towards the hp890's though...

ALthough they do say that the 531 works well for jazz and classical - but there must be better all-rounders out there. Sometimes you do want reasonable low-level response for jazz.

And MacDEF, why do you give us only a peek at your robot head?

Sep 1, 2002 at 8:59 AM Post #26 of 31
oops i was looking at the 831's
smily_headphones1.gif

im still interested in beyers though. mainly because of this one sentence i read in MacDefs review of the hp890's

"If you're willing to spend a bit more, the Beyer DT250-80 are clearly better, with a warm tone but better detail. I'm sure others can recommend a few other $100 amp-not-necessary headphones that you should also consider."

righty o, im just hoping i find the hp890's too heavy for me so i dont like em anyway regardless of sound
smily_headphones1.gif
would make things so much simpler
smily_headphones1.gif
cant find anywhere that will let me take them outa the box at the moment though.

Sep 1, 2002 at 5:33 PM Post #27 of 31
Hi, I tried the 890:s just a couple of days ago in a shop. Wow! They where absolutely amazing (without a headphone amp). I actually thought they sounded better than my friends HD600 (without amp). Considering the price, $60 here in Sweden, it's a steal!
smily_headphones1.gif

I will order the 890:s and a Sony CDP-XE570 CD-player tomorrow (and plug the headphones directly to the XE570's jack), unless Magicthyse says the player is crap...
[size=small]Magicthyse: Please check your private messages![/size]
eek.gif

Good luck!
//Magnus

Sep 1, 2002 at 6:27 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
ALthough they do say that the 531 works well for jazz and classical

Where? I didn't think they even carried the 531...

Quote:

And MacDEF, why do you give us only a peek at your robot head? [/B]

It's just temporary -- you'll notice that I change it pretty frequently
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2002 at 12:34 AM Post #29 of 31
The DT531s are great all-rounders, they're not just for jazz & classical.

The bass response is fine with me, they're no 770pro but sometimes you don't want head-vibrating bass
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back