Which headphones to pair with the Moth s2A3 ?
Jan 26, 2012 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

jochen.schell

Head-Fier
Since yesterday I am the most happiest man in the world as I finally was able to get a Moth s2A3.
To own such an amp was one of my biggest dreams since I saw a picture of one for the very first time here in the forum.
Unfortunately these are extremely hard to find, especially over here in Europe.
My biggest thanks to August for making this happen !!!

I want to start with some pictures of this piece of art:

I am not too experienced with headphone amps, I owned some from Ray Samuel and an Eddie Current EC/SS.
But the Moth really blow me away, I never before had such a hearing experience!
Very often I do find myself shaking the head because I can not believe what I am hearing - this is really phantastic!

About two years ago I searched for some good headphones and after trying some Grados, Senns and a Westone 3 I ended up with a JH13 which really made me totally happy.
Unfortunately the Moth does produce some hum with the low impedance JH13.
It is not really a big thing but I am thinking about getting a pair of full size cans to use with the Moth.

This will probably be not too easy because the JH13 are really very good and from all what I have read not few JH13 owners do not want and need any full size cans beside this in-ears.
But the cans I am looking for should not only sound at least as good as the JH13, they also should be comfortable to wear.
I do not hate anything more than uncomfortable headphones that do hurt while I try to enjoy music.

I do have in mind the AKG K1000, also because they should match well the 3W output of the moth, but searching the forum did not bring too much results for this combination.
Another alternative might perhaps be an Audeze or the Audio Technica AD2000.
Could perhaps someone tell me his experience with the combinations stated above or give me another suggestion for the perfect cans to be used with the Moth?

Or should I just stay with the JH13 and accept a little bit of hum which is only hearable when no music is playing?

Thanks and best wishes from Germany Jochen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back