Which headphones to get at 60$?
Feb 17, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
get the SR-60's, but only if they are going to be used for non portable use a lot. for portable use i really prefer my PortaPros to my SR-60's.

you got that right.

SR-60 on an ipod sounds painfully bright unless you use the "Treble Reducer" EQ setting. And even then, there isn't alot of bass because of the iPod's problem with very low-impedance headphones.

For heavy metal I'd say that the Portapro is better when the source is an iPod.

Feb 17, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenEggs313
you got that right.

SR-60 on an ipod sounds painfully bright unless you use the "Treble Reducer" EQ setting. And even then, there isn't alot of bass because of the iPod's problem with very low-impedance headphones.

Yeah the ipod is rumored to be bass shy with 16 ohm imp loads, but isnt the SR60 a 32 ohm load ???

Garrett

Feb 17, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

you got that right.

that isn't the reason i was thinking. i don't consider the SR-60's to be painfully bright from any source that i've heard. my reasons for them being fairly bad portable choices is because they leak a ton of sound, they are kinda bulky, and the cable is a pain. the SR-60's are my metal cans, though i run them from my Corda not an iPod.

Feb 17, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Yeah the ipod is rumored to be bass shy with 16 ohm imp loads, but isnt the SR60 a 32 ohm load ???

Garrett

iPods are not bass shy with 16 ohm headphones. actually, they aren't bass shy at all. my guess is the "iPod has no teh bassessss" was started by "mr. weaned on teh walkman meggaabassessss", or maybe by "mr what did you say? i destroyed my hearing listening to slayer at 212 db". just my opinion, of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

iPods are not bass shy with 16 ohm headphones. actually, they aren't bass shy at all. my guess is the "iPod has no teh bassessss" was started by "mr. weaned on teh walkman meggaabassessss", or maybe by "mr what did you say? i destroyed my hearing listening to slayer at 212 db". just my opinion, of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sometimes big bass can be fun. If it's easy to make the big bass found in sony PCDPs, why can't I have it on my iPod? I think it'd be cool to have if you could turn it on and off. The SR-60s hurt my ears on my iPod, so I usually don't use them much for my iPod.

Feb 17, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Sometimes big bass can be fun. If it's easy to make the big bass found in sony PCDPs, why can't I have it on my iPod? I think it'd be cool to have if you could turn it on and off. The SR-60s hurt my ears on my iPod, so I usually don't use them much for my iPod.

the iPod has a bass enchancer EQ setting. if you want big bass with it, you can have it. the question of whether the ipod is bass lean (which it isn't, it's merely fairly neutral) doesn't involve the EQ.

Feb 17, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

the iPod has a bass enchancer EQ setting. if you want big bass with it, you can have it. the question of whether the ipod is bass lean (which it isn't, it's merely fairly neutral) doesn't involve the EQ.

yeah, the bass enhancer distortomatic works great
icon10.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
yeah, the bass enhancer distortomatic works great
icon10.gif

i've never heard a megabass or equivalent that didn't distort the sound, so take it for what it's worth.

Feb 17, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

i've never heard a megabass or equivalent that didn't distort the sound, so take it for what it's worth.

really? i've never had anything that did. Certainly not my iriver, karma, or the mpio flash I had previously.

Feb 17, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
really? i've never had anything that did. Certainly not my iriver, karma, or the mpio flash I had previously.

they also don't have megabass or equivalent, but decent EQ's. i was citing the iPod EQ in reference to GreenEggs313's post, where he mentioned the megabass found in some sony PCDP's. i find EQ'ing music to be morally repugnant (
biggrin.gif
), so i don't care any which, way or how.

Feb 17, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

they also don't have megabass or equivalent, but decent EQ's. i was citing the iPod EQ in reference to GreenEggs313's post, where he mentioned the megabass found in some sony PCDP's. i find EQ'ing music to be morally repugnant (
biggrin.gif
), so i don't care any which, way or how.

Well I usually don't like the big bass, but for rap and electronica it makes it alot more fun to listen to. I also like being able to follow the bass guitar on rock tracks without straining my hearing, and on my iPod using my SR-60s I can't hear the bass at all for most tracks. I don't really care if my music is neutral, I'd much rather have it be fun to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back