Which headphones to buy?
May 12, 2007 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Aelius

Head-Fier
I can spend about $100 dollars (Canadian) on headphones, and I'm wondering which one to buy. I use the computer about 12-14 hours a day, so they have to be very comfortable. I want a closed headphone with noise isolation.

May 12, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 29
Actually that's a pretty tough question around here! Kinda like walking into a Ferrari dealership and asking about a mini-van.

There's not a lot of discussion about surround-sound cans, and I'm not sure that there is much of a market for them at this point at any price, let alone at the below $100(Canadian)mark.

If you mean simply stereo, that could make things a lot easier!

May 12, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually that's a pretty tough question around here! Kinda like walking into a Ferrari dealership and asking about a mini-van.

More like walking into a mini-van dealership and asking about... a mini-van, right? These are headphone forums, right?

Quote:

There's not a lot of discussion about surround-sound cans, and I'm not sure that there is much of a market for them at this point at any price, let alone at the below $100(Canadian)mark.

Why not? Surround sound headphones are superior to normal headphones, right?

Quote:

If you mean simply stereo, that could make things a lot easier!

What's stereo?

May 12, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aelius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More like walking into a mini-van dealership and asking about... a mini-van, right? These are headphone forums, right?

Why not? Surround sound headphones are superior to normal headphones, right?

What's stereo?

Yes these are but there's no need to get sarcastic about it that way.

On the topic of surround sound headphones, there have only been two ever made which actually do a decent job of providing a full immersive surround experience and neither is easily available.

Stereo means 2 channels. Like normal headphones. Left and Right.

Why do you NEED surround headphones? Is this for gaming? DVDs? In either event, stereo 2-channel headphones with EAX or CMSS or Dolby Headphone or any other sound processing will sound better than say, the Zalman surround theatre headphones.

May 12, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes these are but theres no need to get sarcastic about it that way.

I'm not being sarcastic, I'm serious.

Quote:

Stereo means 2 channels. Like normal headphones. Left and Right.

As opposed to what? I don't understand, the first poster said "If you mean simply stereo, that could make things a lot easier!" but that doesn't make sense to me, since there's only stereo headphones, I'm not aware of any headphones with only left or only right.

But if I don't get surround sound headphones, then how will I know if noise is coming from left-behind or left-front?

EDIT - This is 90% for gaming purposes.
EDIT - Please, I'm not tech-savvy, I don't know what EAX is, or CMSS or any of that.

May 12, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

I'm not being sarcastic, I'm serious.

The phrase "these ARE headphone forums right?" when referring to this place, simply because you haven't immediately been given a big helpful answer is definately sarcastic or inflammatory, even if you don't think it is.

Quote:

As opposed to what? I don't understand, the first poster said "If you mean simply stereo, that could make things a lot easier!" but that doesn't make sense to me, since there's only stereo headphones, I'm not aware of any headphones with only left or only right.

He meant simply stereo instead of surround, not instead of mono.

Quote:

But if I don't get surround sound headphones, then how will I know if noise is coming from left-behind or left-front?

EDIT - This is 90% for gaming purposes.
EDIT - Please, I'm not tech-savvy, I don't know what EAX is, or CMSS or any of that.

EAX, CMSS and other such things are software on your computer which makes the sound coming out of normal headphones sound like its surround sound. They work in a few different ways but generally they change the tones of sound behind you and sound in front of you so that from the tone, you will know where the location of the sound is. If you are 90% into pc gaming then your soundcard very likely already has some sort of thing like this. What kind of soundcard do you have?

May 12, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #10 of 29
The Audigy has surround processing built into it. Just change the speaker settings to "headphones" with its software and then try playing your game (counterstrike or whatever) with the headphones you have.

May 12, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #12 of 29
This picture shows the difference between surround and stereo

Surround has 6-8 poor speakers that have true surround

Stereo has 2 speakers but special sound cards can simulate surround well.

Sorry for bad writing
speakerdj4.png

May 12, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangsta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what games do you play? cs?

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

So far I've been recommended:

Sennheiser HD-555
Audio-Technica ATH-A500 Art

Any other recommendations?
And what are the differences between those two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back